TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Swapping old fuse box for a new one - Type3 Notch
adidiaz Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Hello guys, I'm new to this site and Type 3's. I am in the process of ordering a new fuse box from ISPWest. I want to swap out my existing (10 fuses) fuse box with a new one. The main reason it that the current fuse box has a broken "tab" and the entire fuse box moves and "jiggles" around as I drive. I believe there is a short happening due to all the movement and at times the engine has even cut out...luckily only once while driving. But I have tested it many times while just sitting in my driveway and running the engine and if I take my left hand and gently move or "wiggle" the fuse box a little it shorts out and the engine shuts off. I took the whole fuse box off by removing the 2 screws under the dash and I noticed that there is 1 tab missing and it's being held up by the 2nd tab. So i think my only option is to order a new fuse box and replace it. Any thoughts? Also, advice on swapping out the old box to new box? I plan to just go wire for wire and not screw up or mix any wires up. Any advice on what to watch out for or do's and don'ts? Any thoughts are appreciated. I have a '65 Notch 6 volt. I already called ISPWest and they said the fuse box will work for 6 or 12 volt.

Here is the link to the fuse box I am going to purchase...any thoughts? Thanks again!

http://www.vwispwest.com/311937505A.html

Multi69s Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Normally, the ignition wire in a VW isn't fused, so wiggling the box "shouldn't make the engine die. But who knows what the PO did. As far as advice, disconnect the battery before you start, and have a bunch of female spade connectors and a GOOD wire crimper. As you replace each wire check the snugness of each spade connector. If they seem loose on the blade, crimp them a little with pliers. However being so old, you might have a couple break the holding tab off. Then replace them with new ones.

Ricky Estrada Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 am

Same sort of thing happened to me. Engine cutting out while driving. Check your ignition wires, my issue is that the PO had not connected them correctly. But yeah, a shaking fuse box could be problematic for other reasons.

adidiaz Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your advice and comments. I finally received my new fuse box today in the mail. I just need to purchase some female spade connectors and then I will try to exchange fuse boxes this weekend or soon. I'm a little nervous since I've never done this type of swap out before but I'll take all your advice and my time and make sure I go wire for wire. :) If anyone has any last minute advice or experience with this sort of thing I'd appreciate it. THANKS!

Peters Van Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:23 am

print yourself a copy of the wiring diagram and have it next to you when you attempt this.
oh yeah disconnect the battery before you attempt this