TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Garage Find
RandomNewGuy Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Short story for some background; my deceased grandfather was somewhat of a hoarder of things both useful and useless, interesting and dull. Over the past couple of years since his passing we've been sifting through his collection and earlier we came across this little gem (pics related). So far I've determined it's a Hazet tool kit. I'm not sure what year since it's not stamped anywhere, I'd like to get a better idea of what year it is if someone could help me there. I'm not interested in selling it but from what I've seen these kits have some value so if anyone could help me with a rough range of what mine is worth that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fig Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Based on the layout decal showing the big wrench as a 36mm only, while the one in the toolbox is the 21mm x 36mm, I'd say your toolbox is a 1956.

There are lots of these Hazet round spare wheel tool boxes for sale in the classifieds for an idea of asking prices.

There's a Hazet tools sticky at the top of this forum, where you can find out more info.

RandomNewGuy Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. I found a chart I'm another thread that says it's a 1958-1960 Hazet Tourist 2500 E. I'm not sure how reliable the chart is though and I'm looking for some more references to see what holds up.

fig Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 pm

AFAIK the 36mm wrench was replaced in 1955 or 1956 with the 21mm x 36mm wrench. Your set is the same configuration as the 56-59 sets, but the older decal implies it dates from the same time as the wrench change.

lovinbronx Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:24 pm

fig wrote: AFAIK the 36mm wrench was replaced in 1955 or 1956 with the 21mm x 36mm wrench. Your set is the same configuration as the 56-59 sets, but the older decal implies it dates from the same time as the wrench change.

Have the same kit but just missing the small and medium screwdrivers

Dan