TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
singlecross Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 am

FYI- I tried to enter myself as a Driveway Camp Host but got an error message at the end of the process after the "You submission has been received" pop-up. I entered my info as "Adam - Mount Desert Island, Maine 04660" Maybe you have the info through your App but if not, pm me for the other details. Thanks

HoustonPhotog Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am

singlecross wrote: FYI- I tried to enter myself as a Driveway Camp Host but got an error message at the end of the process after the "You submission has been received" pop-up. I entered my info as "Adam - Mount Desert Island, Maine 04660" Maybe you have the info through your App but if not, pm me for the other details. Thanks

weird, yea for some reason I don't see it... doing some investigating now...

Dymaxion2004 Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 am

Nice app, but download page says it contains ads? I don't like ads, so I didn't down load it. I'm a long time vanagon rescue squad member. VRS didn't have ads.

Team WorldTour Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:32 am

Also- just logged on to the new view, and my details are incorrect.
I'm in Schwabach, not Igelsdorf, Rednitzhembach. (We share the same Post Code)

HoustonPhotog Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:43 am

Dymaxion2004 wrote: Nice app, but download page says it contains ads? I don't like ads, so I didn't down load it. I'm a long time vanagon rescue squad member. VRS didn't have ads.

That's fine... I have about $5,000+ invested into the app out of my own pocket in the past 5 months so the app will continue to have ads Iin order to help recoup some of the funds. That's not even including the hundreds of hours spent populating the app with information. VRS is just a small portion of VanAlert but I understand... In fact, I'm still spending hours a week contacting every single VRS entry verifying their information prior to entering them into the app. All 1,300+ members. Making sure that when someone needs a rescue member that their call will be answered and not get routed to an outdated phone number or email address.

Everything can't be for free.. It was either charge for the app or include ads. I chose the give the app away for free and have ads. Heck thesamba here has ads... Facebook, Instagram, TV, radio etc all have ads. Services ran by individuals like the forum and my app all cost money... And we pay for it out of our own pockets.. So we too have ads. At least our ads are vanagon specific and not ads for face cream and fidget spinners.

Please know that I'm in no way trying to talk you into joining. I'm perfectly OK with you not joining because of the ads, I'm just merely explaining why there are ads to begin with....

Have a good one...

HoustonPhotog Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 am

Team WorldTour wrote: Also- just logged on to the new view, and my details are incorrect.
I'm in Schwabach, not Igelsdorf, Rednitzhembach. (We share the same Post Code)

I'll get that corrected asap. Thanks

Rorke Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 am

I like this app far more than I dislike the ads.

Thanks

danfromsyr Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 am

Ohh shyt are you that Tx # that called my cell this past day/week? I bumped ignore.. maybe I forgot I put my cell # out in the VRS area code (469)?
HoustonPhotog wrote: In fact, I'm still spending hours a week contacting every single VRS entry verifying their information prior to entering them into the app. All 1,300+ members. Making sure that when someone needs a rescue member that their call will be answered and not get routed to an outdated phone number or email address.

Have a good one...

HoustonPhotog Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 am

danfromsyr wrote: Ohh shyt are you that Tx # that called my cell this past day/week? I bumped ignore.. maybe I forgot I put my cell # out in the VRS area code (469)?

Wasn't me... I'm emailing only right now... once done with that then I'll go back and text the remaining users that don't have an email listed.

bobbyblack Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:32 pm

What? Ads, I didn't even notice!

Awesome update, by the way, thanks again, and again!

HoustonPhotog Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:36 pm

bobbyblack wrote: What? Ads, I didn't even notice!

Awesome update, by the way, thanks again, and again!

Thank you kindly!

drj434343 Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Would you consider offering a pay version to get rid of ads for those of us that prefer that option? That's pretty common on the Android side of things.

dobryan Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

I do not want to jinx myself but I have never seen ads on mine. I just checked to be sure. BTW I'd still support it even with ads. 👍

HoustonPhotog Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 pm

We had banner ads on all versions of the app. We're in the middle of a transition phase and ads will be coming back to the new version soon. It's not on every page. Just a footer banner on every other page from our sponsors.

jimf909 Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm

1 - I love the app, your blog and all that you do for the community. Thank you.

2 - I'd also be willing to pay for an ad free option. I hate ads and I like supporting the community (I paid extra for my kindle to be ad-free, I send money to the Samba and still get the ads :D, I mostly read ad-free magazines, etc.); I just prefer minimizing unwelcome intrusions.

3 - Keep up the good work. Prioritize all of our requests as you deem fit. It's your project. Thanks again.

4 - Do you have a donate link?

drj434343 wrote: Would you consider offering a pay version to get rid of ads for those of us that prefer that option? That's pretty common on the Android side of things.

HoustonPhotog Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 am

jimf909 wrote: 1 - I love the app, your blog and all that you do for the community. Thank you.
Thanks I do appreciate that!

jimf909 wrote: 2 - I'd also be willing to pay for an ad free option. I hate ads and I like supporting the community (I paid extra for my kindle to be ad-free, I send money to the Samba and still get the ads :D, I mostly read ad-free magazines, etc.); I just prefer minimizing unwelcome intrusions.
The current platform I used to build my app does not allow two separate apps to share the same database which is pretty much what having a free and a paid version is. Since I'm not an app coder I chose to go with a app building service where I can use one of the premade templates and populate it myself. The Pros were I can make the app without any prior experience, the cons were that the options and features I have available were limited. If i ever move to a standalone coded from the ground up app i will definitely go that route. The reason I didn't go that route at the time I started VanAlert was because all of the quotes I got to build just the basic framework of the app was about $8,000. A bit much for me at the time since I was and had been unemployed for the past year (oil & gas). I chose the less expensive and more hands on route with the app builder software.

jimf909 wrote: 3 - Keep up the good work. Prioritize all of our requests as you deem fit. It's your project. Thanks again.
Indeed, we put out a survey a month ago or so and I have a punch list of things I'd like to add, fix and tweak. It's much like owning a vanagon! hehe

jimf909 wrote: 4 - Do you have a donate link?
I do. its listed in the app under our Contact Us section but here the direct links itself. Thanks

https://www.paypal.me/texasvanagons

Any and all donations are greatly appreciated.

bajaleo Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am

We had the pleasure of hosting Brandon and his lovely wife in our driveway. They used VanAlert to find a driveway to camp in overnight.

Thanks Abel.

HoustonPhotog Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Mark and John (@markscullen) from Seattle Washington for hosting Colton, Errin and Emmett (@skippy.the.westy) from San Antonio Texas! I love seeing photos like this from our VanAlert Driveway Camp Hosts!

msinabottle Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Got it. Played with it. It's truly outstanding.

I got ads. From Rocky Mountain Westy. Love those guys, love their ads.

The 'nearby campgrounds' feature is STUNNING, and the people who can offer driveway camping are really doing the community a kindness. Also applauding the 'shops' page.

Thank you, very much.

Best!

herbie555 Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm

What a great app. I'm using it primarily for the campsite locating, but I thought I'd check the list vs. some of my "known" favorites, which lead me to a question:

What's the appropriate process for adding info or corrections to campsites that are in the database? There are several listed within about 40 miles of my home that I know are Free-camp and/or boondock (or semi-boondock), but they're listed as "Paid Park".

Thanks!