TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VanAlert App for Vanagon Owners... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
dhaavers Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Already making contacts for future road trip(s)...Much good! Yay! :wink:

- Dave

lucianosanchez Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:25 pm

This is just awesome! Great job on the app, love the attention to detail. I will surely be using it.

kawasakiman84 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 am

Any chance of a windows phone version?

HoustonPhotog Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 pm

Hey there guys sorry for not replying for some reason my email notification for this thread was turned off. My apologies...

Thanks for all of the kind words.. the app has been a blast so far. I'm adding content every day... Lots of content. Plenty of user submitted Repair Shops, Driveway Camp Hosts and now we have a Camp Sites section which I am planning to populate with a few different types of camp spots.

BD: BoonDock
FC: Free Camp
PP: Paid Park
RA: Rest Area
TS: Truck Stop

I know we all prefer the majestic BLM land sites we see photographed on Instagram but ya know sometimes we just need a place to sleep for the night while on the road so thats the reason I chose to open up this Camp Sites section to include those items above. And yes I know there are other resources out there that have plenty of sites listed but I wanted this section in our app because I've been told by other vanagon owners that they purposely dont share their secret spots with those other resources but have said they would share with us since we're a vanagon community. how cool is that?

Lots of items in the new rendition of the app, got a few bugs worked out, got a few more bugs on my punch list to address.

Thanks again for all of you guys downloading the app. I do appreciate it.

Oh I do know Blackberry users have been getting the google play store loaded on their phones in order to get the app so im sure theres a way for windows users to do the same. havent researched it yet but i'll look. in the meantime though we do have a webapp available at:

http://m.vanalert.com

that should work on all devices.

HoustonPhotog Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:43 pm

ThankYouJerry wrote: Downloaded. How do you report a Vanagon that was reported "stolen" as "found" once it's been recovered like the current van on the app's stolen list that has been reported as found here on The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671318

You can leave a COMMENT on the stolen van page.... theres a little qoute bubble on the upper right hand corner that allows for comments. Ethan the owner of the recovered van left a comment that it was found and I sent out a notification letting our members in the area know that it was found.

HoustonPhotog Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Pcforno wrote: Pretty awesome Abel!
A couple of suggestions
Let's add functionality so folks can add legitimate water fill up locations (so we don't have to sneak a fill up from a gas station hose while they get mad at you)

Add cool free campsite locations that we can add to - when traveling to new locations it can sometimes be hard even with the gazetteer to find free forest service camping

Awesome ide Abel!

awesome idea on the water fill up. some one else suggested propane fill up locations as well. i'll try to get those implemented. adding to my punch list now.

I just added a camp sites section so all of your cool free camp sites can now be submitted as well! Thanks!

HoustonPhotog Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:53 pm

climberjohn wrote: Just loaded it on my iPhone, looks pretty darn good. Thank you very much for putting this together.

Small enhancement suggestion:
On the bottom of the homepage I see two white dots.
I'm guessing this is to indicate that there are two different pages for the home page and that you need to swipe left to see the second page.
Usually in apps, one of the dots is shaded in to indicate that you were on page 1 and when you swipe, the 2nd dot gets shaded to show that you were on page 2.

I suggest adding dot shading to tell people what page they are on.

Or, to address it in a more major way, make all the icons smaller so you can fit all of them on a single homepage.

Anyway, minor quibble, and is more content gets added to this by all of us it will become quite helpful. Good job!

-CJ

yes! working on changing those dot colors... makes no sense them being the same color... that'll be tweaked soon.

Pcforno Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:46 am

Is the "add camp sites" functionality still under development? I can't seem to add except by name - id love to share some great BLM/forest service spots but probably the best way would be if we could pinpoint them on google maps or the like, perhaps with a description and user submitted picture...

HoustonPhotog Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:14 am

[quote="Pcforno"]Is the "add camp sites" functionality still under development? I can't seem to add except by name - id love to share some great BLM/forest service spots but probably the best way would be if we could pinpoint them on google maps or the like, perhaps with a description and user submitted picture...[/quote

Yea I'm hoping to finish that form and get it pushed out ASAP in order to allow for more details to be added. For now you can enter all of the info into the description box. That'll work for now thanks ]

Pcforno Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks man- I see the app as a great resource for vanagon owners!

HoustonPhotog Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 am

Added a new Videos Section in order to highlight all of the cool Vanagon Videos out here being posted. We have some really talented people out there.

MaineRich Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 am

I just downloaded the app to my iPhone and will now spend the next few hours not working!

Thanks for another great thing Abel!

HoustonPhotog Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Updated the first post with more info and screenshots...

bobbyblack Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Totally inspired! SO sweet, thanks

The feature for my profile pic, I can't seem to figure out how to get a picture file on my phone to go in as my image. Ideas?

dsdunbar Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm

On my iphone, I did the following: open VA app, clicked on "profile" icon in the top left, clicked on "Edit your profile" which is under the circle for the photo, then clicked on "Change your picture" which gives the option to either take a picture or choose from library...

hope that helps

bobbyblack wrote: Totally inspired! SO sweet, thanks

The feature for my profile pic, I can't seem to figure out how to get a picture file on my phone to go in as my image. Ideas?

bobbyblack Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Got that far, selected folder and file, seemed like it was all set, then the pic doesn't appear and the save has no effect, as I assume it has not actually attached the file to the profile for some reason... Admittedly, I run LinageOS N (7.1.1) and it's bleeding edge... Perhaps just a consequence.

pinetreeporsche Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Pcforno wrote: Pretty awesome Abel!
Add cool free campsite locations that we can add to - when traveling to new locations it can sometimes be hard even with the gazetteer to find free forest service camping

So please someone tell me what the 'gazetteer' is- another site on Samba, or something in print? I've been trying to find, via websites of the forest service, a a few stealth/boonie sites etc, but it's slow research, and often leads to disappointment. And local (weekend, etc) sites are not much use for a longer overland trip. So what's the secret I've been missing- this gazetteer? Thanks, all

Merian Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Thx for making this. Two suggestions:

1. Put a Vanagon outline on the 'face' of the ap - still room for Van above and Alert below or all on one line

2. I can't find Eva Longoria's location on the app...

HoustonPhotog Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Merian wrote: Thx for making this. Two suggestions:

1. Put a Vanagon outline on the 'face' of the ap - still room for Van above and Alert below or all on one line

2. I can't find Eva Longoria's location on the app...

Yea a graphics redo is on my punch list.. I was anxious to release the app so people could start populating data. I definitely plan to add a vanagon in there somewhere =)

Oh yea EVA.... Rawr

bluebus86 Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:15 pm

guess i need a smart phone, got a dime for a call. ring ring, hello, yes, my van fell down and cant get up. :wink: :roll: :lol: :? :D :P :? :roll: :wink: :o :shock: :D :lol: :? :shock: :wink:

this is a neat idea, lots of potential.