TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can't ID this hose
erikhaha Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 pm

So, I am in the process of re-installing my engine and auto transmission, both were re-built. This is a 69 squareback, converted to duel carbs so there are some wires and maybe hoses that the person who did the conversion left on.

I took a lot of pictures before I took the engine out but I didn't get this one. Trying to i.d. this hose going into the rear firewall. It is braided like the fuel line but it isn't. I think it may be a vacuum line that was abandoned when the FI was removed but I am not sure.

I know that the auto tranny gets a vacuum line that is pulled from both of the manifolds but I also thought that maybe that it also connects to this line and runs to the cab for some other reason?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Donnie strickland Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:01 pm

It's a little dark, but that looks like your fuel injection return line, which goes back up to the gas tank. Since your car is carbureted you don't need it. Just plug off both ends, front and back.

erikhaha Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Ha, that is what I thought.

Thanks

raygreenwood Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Wait...whats the diameter? If its 12mm it may be a charcoal cannister hose. Ray

Bobnotch Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:01 pm

raygreenwood wrote: Wait...whats the diameter? If its 12mm it may be a charcoal cannister hose. Ray

Except that hose attaches to the metal return pipe in the pan, rather than going to the canister (which is missing judging by the mounting stud, stack of washers and metal tab attached to the panel above the trans).

raygreenwood Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:34 am

Bobnotch wrote: raygreenwood wrote: Wait...whats the diameter? If its 12mm it may be a charcoal cannister hose. Ray

Except that hose attaches to the metal return pipe in the pan, rather than going to the canister (which is missing judging by the mounting stud, stack of washers and metal tab attached to the panel above the trans).

Yep! See it now! .......was a bit disoriented by this photo. Ray