TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reshape Fender Lip
xzener Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 am

Hello guys,

Finishing up the body work on my 68 KG. I've saved the worst for last. The fender lips are in bad shape. Mainly the front passenger fender. Is there a trick to reshaping them and having a nice clean round finished look?

I was pondering using a 1/2" steel pipe. Attempting to hold it in place while I wack at it with a hammer.

Thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks!

c21darrel Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I did a lot of hammer and dolly to flatten it. Ghia wheel wells really are not rounded over all the way. It is more an "L" shape.
Yours looks pretty lumpy, is there still old filler there?

xzener Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes, it's still lumpy. I've managed to flatten the forward most section. Then, as it goes up towards the top, it curves. I borrowed a bunch of tools from my buddy. It's shaping up... Better than it was.

CiderGuy Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 am

There are replacement panels for the wheel wells, if you find too much rust and filler.

xzener Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 am

The shape is fine, no rust either. The problem is, the front clip was replaced with an early 70's. Their for, the filler is to shape where the late style blinker hole was. I've managed to shape the lip back to where it should be... Now I have ripples in the lip to deal with.