TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
gears Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 pm

The need for higher quality transaxle parts has become painfully apparent to many in the Syncro community, especially to guys like myself with overpowered and overloaded Westfalias. I've shared photos of my own premature gear wear (admittedly due to my love of on-ramp acceleration).
2nd and 3rd gears on their way toward failure:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/985965.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/985975.jpg

Equally disconcerting are premature failures of special ratio aftermarket gears that develop pitting after 30-40K noisy miles. (One of these belongs to a Samba member.)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1566916.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1566915.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1608164.jpg

While a number of us are presently evaluating 4th gears and R&P sets from Europe, I've also been bugging my old Porsche gear manufacturer to make a special run of gears to cover the needs of myself and a couple other discerning Syncro enthusiasts. He's finally come through, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

I've had made what I consider a “sample run” of GT Vanagon 3rd & 4th gears, just to test the general enthusiasm in Syncro/Vanagon world. If they prove popular despite their scary high cost ($595), I'll continue the effort.

GT gears feature an F1 racing gear tooth profile, with helix angle adjusted for quieter street operation. They won't wear out prematurely or in a cocked pattern, but rather they'll develop uniform wear as shown on this used GT gear. (Note the prominent tip relief feature in the design, which eliminates wear on both tooth tip and tooth root.)

The finish grinding and attention to detail is unparallelled by any other manufacturer of Porsche or VW gear that I'm aware of:

Splines that fit the pinion shaft properly !

GT Porsche racing gears typically last twice as long as the Porsche factory's racing gears, so when it's time for a trans rebuild, I'm sure I'll be reinstalling the same used GT VW Syncro gears, time after time.

I thought I'd use a comparison graph as my gear availability list. If it's listed under 3rd or 4th, I've got at least a few of:

Rocky Mountain Westy Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Tough to tell from the way you described it. Are the gears $595 each or for a pair, 3rd and 4th?

Seems like a winner.

gears Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Cost was tough for me to swallow too, but I think the extra reliability makes the effort worthwhile. These gears sell for $595 per ratio ..

Sir Sam Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Cool.

fleet_maintenance Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm

It's a shame that such nice gears won't be seen once installed. I'm currently a non-syncro owner, but always enjoy lurking your transmission posts. Thanks for bringing these to market.

Sodo Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I would think it's HP / Torque related, not 2wd/4WD.

Shouldn't any Vanagon with ~150+ HP be using the best 4th gear money can buy?

gears Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:39 pm

That's true, Sodo .. but a 2WD is relatively inexpensive to rebuild. My goal is to build as reliable (long lasting) a Syncro trans as possible. While 2WD owners could see benefits to using these parts, for Syncros with bigger engines it's almost a necessity (to protect the rest of the investment).

MR GAS Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Gears, Wow, Very nice looking parts. I'm sure I can sell some of these.
So you have all the ratios listed Available? Great! that is a great selection of ratios.
Just to Clarify
These gears fit Both Syncro and 2wd Vanagon Watercooled Transaxles?
I have plenty of Swapped 2wd and $yncro customers willing to spend extra for quality parts!
Looking forward to doing business real soon!

gears Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:23 pm

These gears are for 091/1, 094, 094 4WD (Syncro). As you can see, we've even made HD replacements for the stock 3rd & 4th ratios.

syncrodoka Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Beautiful parts.
Are there any downsides besides the cost? Would they be noisier at all?

Sodo Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Fine teeth should be quieter. I have often wondered if the coarse teeth of "race gears" is sets up a virbration that's rough on the embattled mainshaft bearing.

hans j Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Amazing. Don't make me want to dig into my trans sooner than I want! It will be a little bit before I buy a set, but my eyes are on them for sure. I'm hoping some other bits get some new development too before my time comes.

Sodo Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I had to dig into my new trans cuz a clip came off the decoupler and fooked up some stuff. I bought a GT .82 set. Anyone wanna buy my .82 Weddle 4th gear set - it only has 300 miles.

Syncrozilla Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi Paul, Any chance of getting a .87 4th ? I'm running a 5:43 R&P.

Thanks, Seth

gears Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:26 am

I had initially ordered a smaller tooth size for my 4th gears (while leaving 3rd gears with larger teeth), but my gear cutter talked me into making both 3rd & 4th with coarse teeth .. essentially the same tooth counts as other aftermarket gears.

OE-style vs GT gear

I've been assured that our gears will be quieter than typical coarse toothed racing gears, and that's certainly been true of GT Porsche gears. The enhanced pressure angle of an F1 tooth profile will always be audible, but GT gears won't "howl" like a crudely cut gear.

Seth, we can make a graph of whatever you're planning, and special order ratios are welcome. But I suspect you're after something other than .87 (which would really be splitting hairs compared to what is already available).

Oh .. aside from special orders, GT products have always carried a satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you've purchased, pull it out and return it within a reasonable amount of time for a full refund. No other gear manufacturer has ever offered this level of warranty, but that's how we ran our gear business for over 15 years.

xoo00oox Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:33 am

This is great news, I'm glad you are offering your time to get into having these made.

Pcforno Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 am

Looks awesome! Too bad my transaxle was just rebuilt! Any progress or hope of the fabled new syncro transaxle you may be designing? Or is it too good to be true?

tristessa Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 am

gears wrote: These gears are for 091/1, 094, 094 4WD (Syncro).
Will they work in the Bus 091? Not that most Bus owners need the strength, but new parts being available are a good thing...

pbrown Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 am

Where does one order these parts? Is there a web site?

I love that new parts are being made for the Syncro. I have a locker tranny sitting in the garage that I'm planning to rebuild. In the next month or so.

gears Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:37 pm

If I receive a PM, I can
1) provide my direct e-mail
2) answer off-topic questions
3) recommend a rebuilder/retailer, or
4) arrange for direct sale of GT gears

I doubt I'll get involved enough for websites, credit card machines, etc again. This is a low-key, semi-retirement business.