TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hydraulic clutch locked up
bonanzace Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 am

I am asking here because you guys have the most experience on hydraulic clutches. Jamar master and slave. Engine is out so I can watch the clutch arm and bearing movement. When I press the pedal the throw out bearing pivots and comes out but will only retract when I loosen the slave bleeder. After I push the pedal it remains hard and cannot be pushed down again until I release the pressure at the bleeder.Searched and can't find any topics on this. Could there be a relief valve in the master that is sticking?

jdcool4 Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:08 am

If you have a rubber flex line in the system it may be collapsed allowing the master to force fluid past but not return

turboblue Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

Sounds like the seals are leaking internally letting fluid get past into the blind end and "hydraulicing" the slave.

yitzac1990 Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:15 am

im curious, why are you playing with the clutch when the engine isnt even installed? the pressure plate is what returns the pedal back to its spot after you press the pedal down. since the engine isn't installed, there is no pressure plate, meaning there is nothing causing the fluid to go backwards, returning the pedal and everything back to its "non-pushed" state.

Dale M. Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:57 am

Another issue may be the pedal is not returning enough to clear "port" to reservoir and allow fluid to release back in reservoir... Can be a issue with brakes also with improperly adjustment of free play in pedal/master cylinder adjustment...

Dale

Dale M. Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 am

yitzac1990 wrote: im curious, why are you playing with the clutch when the engine isnt even installed? the pressure plate is what returns the pedal back to its spot after you press the pedal down. since the engine isn't installed, there is no pressure plate, meaning there is nothing causing the fluid to go backwards, returning the pedal and everything back to its "non-pushed" state.

Yes there is... Its the circular spring on throw-out arm shaft...

Dale

bonanzace Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am

The engine was in. I pulled it because of the problem. Gary, That makes sense about the blind end. Master cylinder is a new old stock and the slave has been in the car for 30 years. I would have to do a lot of cutting on the body to fit any other master cylinder so I hope it is ok. I will pull the master out and take it apart to check it after I order a new slave and try it. Thanks for the information!

Fenix Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 pm

bonanzace wrote: The engine was in. I pulled it because of the problem. Gary, That makes sense about the blind end. Master cylinder is a new old stock and the slave has been in the car for 30 years. I would have to do a lot of cutting on the body to fit any other master cylinder so I hope it is ok. I will pull the master out and take it apart to check it after I order a new slave and try it. Thanks for the information!

Might see if there is a local shop that can rebuild them. My dad has sent several cylinders from his antique Cockshutt tractors and equipment off for rebuilding. Though purchasing a new one will probably be more cost effective, since there are replacements available.

pullstart Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:11 pm

For some of the seals inside our small master cylinders, as for a drum brake wheel cylinder seal in the catalog, then match the right bore.

yitzac1990 Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Dale M. wrote: yitzac1990 wrote: im curious, why are you playing with the clutch when the engine isnt even installed? the pressure plate is what returns the pedal back to its spot after you press the pedal down. since the engine isn't installed, there is no pressure plate, meaning there is nothing causing the fluid to go backwards, returning the pedal and everything back to its "non-pushed" state.

Yes there is... Its the circular spring on throw-out arm shaft...

Dale

oh, well apparently my trans is missing that spring hahaha

bonanzace Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Dale M. wrote: Another issue may be the pedal is not returning enough to clear "port" to reservoir and allow fluid to release back in reservoir... Can be a issue with brakes also with improperly adjustment of free play in pedal/master cylinder adjustment...

Dale

And the winner is.... DALE! 30 years of sitting on the shelf in Florida was not good on this master cylinder. Lots of corrosion inside keeping the one seal from retracting and clearing the return port. After cleaning the housing the bores are clean with no corrosion. new seals and flushing the lines again along with a new slave cylinder and I should be good. Thanks again everyone!!!

pullstart Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 pm

yum...