TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Green sticker to street legal saga
Infotraker Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Maybe this will help others who might want to take this long journey.
I will outline the steps I have taken over a period of 1.5 years.

1. Bought the vw modified buggy with no reg. Or pink slip.
DMV said I could straighten the paperwork later.

2. After the buy I started steps with dmv, next step chp for vin check

3. Got appt. with chp, took 1 month

4. Chp assigned new vin number

5. Back to DMV, they said I needed to contact previous owner from 5 years ago who was still on the Oregon registration last registered in 2008

6 after contacting Oregon DMV got address and name of registered past owner

7. When to Oregon dunes with friends and in a nearby town found his address

8. House for sale, called realistate agent, they contacted him on Utah giving him my phone number

9. He called me 30 minutes later, glad to know I had buggy and he would let DMV I I now had buggy and would get is registered

10 . Go appt with smog bar person took a month

11. Got smog exemption after adding a couple of hoses, another month to see him again, got exemption. More in comments

Infotraker Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 pm

12. Finally back to ca. DMV trying to get street legal.

13. Needed break and lite inspectionto get street legal, decided to get green sticker.

14. One year passe, decided to get break and lite inspection

15. Auto shop checked buggy, all lites worked, looked at wheels and said looked ok. Passed inspection !

16. Back to DMV with inspection paperwork. They took 4 hours checking paperwork, looked at buggy 4 times with manager.

17. Finally put on paperwork 1960 engine, 2016 body, special construction.

18. Got street legall finally after 2 years.

19. Going to Anza Borrego desert state park Monday for a week of fun !

20. Will deal with 2016 date later if problem arises with reg fees next year.

bikesndbugs Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:10 pm

so this in panless?
like an actual registered buggy in california

VolkFanJefe Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 am

Interesting. I always wondered what the process would be like. Any photos of your "buggy"? I am curious too if it is a panless build. Do you have to meet 2016 emission standards or 1960?

Axitech Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Yep, want pics too!

Infotraker Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:50 pm

The 1960 vw engine smog requirements are hoses from valve covers, oil filler tube. Those hoses go to distribution box with hose going thru base of air cleaner. Older pic below, replaced rear tires with mud tires. And paint is completed. Had to meet 1960 smog requirements.
The stress was DMV , chp Break and lite inspection and bar smog inspector. Each visit to these agencies will give you at times new requirements to meet with more costs.

weasel_ugs Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Since you were able to contact last registered owner couldnt he have applied for a duplicate title or registration and sent it to you to avoid all the hassle?

Infotraker Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Previous owner sold the buggie 8 years ago, maybe he could have. But to reregister in ca. I would have to go thru all of the same steps to register in ca.
Ca very strict with lots of DMV auto laws.