TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Laquer Paint
vwkirb Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Bring on the flaming!

So I'm curious has anyone used laquer paint on their car? I see TCP global has it in their restoration series...

I'm considering using it to avoid the isos in poly paints. I don't have access to a booth and when I get to it will probably be painting small sections at a time... Don't kid me, I don't think this is the ideal way to paint a car but with my means it's the only way it will ever happen .

So as I see it laquer have little going for them accept they are easier to use at home, easy to correct issues later on, and less of a health issue with a recpirator. They look good too.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

theKbStockpiler Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:35 pm

The one part enamels(whatever NAPA sells) are easy and are not out of date by 80 years. :lol: Lacquer dries fast and is not as good of a moisture barrier in spray can form anyways.

beetlenut Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Lacquer paints are sensitive to humidity when spraying. Make sure you paint on a low humidity day or you'll end up with "blush", which is a whitish haze.

marklee Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 pm

with lacquer paint the secret is in the prep. It is far more susceptible to lifting edges of substrate. It also doesnt have the build quality or thickness of 2k or modern single stage paints. It dries by evaporation which can and does cause sinkage, ie the paint dries and the repairs underneath can be seen. I would use a non isocyanate 2k High build primer then a single stage urethane from the same paint manufacturer. Speak to your paint suppliers,they will know whats best