TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
IdahoDoug Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks. More input on the Big Buddy's heating capacity is that it can also be used outside the van pointing at a couple people in camp chairs and has the effect of a fire. So the massive output has a side bennie. On low it keeps the van very warm, and on high it brings it from stone cold pretty quickly though you have to pay attention to what it's pointed at as anything within 3 feet will get very warm. I hang it off the passenger's headrest pointing rearward, using a pair of those very secure bendy quick tie things made by Nite Ize.

Looks like a good unit in form factor etc. Interested in hearing more. Tx

pdm777 Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm

I will update my original Samba post:
-Plug & Play- Super Easy Forced Air Heater for Westy ~$200

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730792&a...highlight=

- Revised the exhaust with two inline mufflers. And a handy thumb clamp.
I can now remove the entire exhaust in 30 seconds, or less !
shorter is better for exhaust. 2 mufflers solved the jet turbine noise.

- The power cord was tossed-too thin. New power cord is 10ga
to my AGM house batt, with anderson connector for quick dissconnect.

- The hot air outlet was originally four holes. I bought a one-hole
outlet and 3" aluminum flexi tubing, exiting the original heater outlet,
and added a nice looking vent fixture.

Will post photos and details soon.
With the fires, it's too smokey and hot right now.

FOR NOW, here's a photo of the latest dual exhaust setup

erste Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:57 pm

pdm777 wrote:
FOR NOW, here's a photo of the latest dual exhaust setup
hahahaha that's pretty cool! Can you run an intake silencer on the all-in-one unit?

danfromsyr Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:26 pm

they really aren't that loud.. it's the corrugated tubing that makes the extra noise..

I hear my brother snoring inside his van louder than the heater when I walk by.

alaskadan Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Looking at the link posted of this heater I noticed they have the same size unit 5kw in a tall skinny unit as well. Might fit well in a different cabinet than the bench seat. For these prices I might just have to pick one up. Edit, not really that much narrower.

danfromsyr Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:29 pm

I think it was a Dave in here who mounted a tall thin behind the pass seat as a 'removable' unit. only installed when needed/wanted.

could do similiar with the squatty one and retain swivel functions..

do note that the small tanks in the 'portable' units is likely one day of fuel for any particularly cold day/night. so plan carrying additional fuel accordingly.

plus you need to have an Aux battery in event of heavy cold weather use.

there are compromises in nearly all of these options..

pdm777 Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Compromises.

Every heater solution has compromises.

Minimizing compromises is the goal.

there has never been more choices,
affordable solutions for Westy owners.

keep warm.

shagginwagon83 Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm close to finishing my 4 gallon aux diesel tank and my 150aH lifepo4 install. Really excited to have EASY diesel refilling and also days of heat with my 2k CDH.

offthewallace Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 am

https://planarheaters.com/product/portable-diesel-air-heater-planar-2d-12/

Wait... Did someone say there was a budget?

pdm777 Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 am

Yep, The chinese stole the design,
It's just a copy of the expensive Euro heaters.

Now the $800-$1200 diesel heaters
are less than $200.

OldSpice Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:16 pm

jwallace wrote: https://planarheaters.com/product/portable-diesel-air-heater-planar-2d-12/

Wait... Did someone say there was a budget?

I used to have a budget yes, ironically now I do not but these cheap kinds have hit thee market since, apparently. Still trying to find out what mountable ** unit to get and where to mount it - I want to max storage space especially in bench seat so I cant mount there. trying to figure out if the units get hot?? (any of them)

as a side note/ pro tip for the personal propane Buddy heaters- I use a USB Fan to move air around and heat the van more efficiently https://www.amazon.com/DECVO-USB-Flexible-PC-Compu...B003XN24GY
i plug mine into a portable battery like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compa...amp;sr=8-2

dhaavers Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:36 pm

^^^ FWIW: Behind passenger seat was my compromise...

Granted, I'm only one season in so far, but after running this rig about 20 days/nights I've had no issues at all
with heater cabinet touching either the seat pedestal <or> the Dometic 12v fridge I strap right up next to it... 8)

- Dave

markswagen Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 pm

i've done a fair bit of cold weather camping, and have ever owned a heater.
i make sure to have more warm bedding than i need, for the cold morning.
i have a kettle of water on the stove ready to light, and boil, usually by the time the kettle has boiled, the inside of the van is warm enough to get up and get dressed.

wife feels the cold more than i do, i guess i'm her hairy hot water bottle.

fxr Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:30 pm

markswagen wrote: i've done a fair bit of cold weather camping, and have ever owned a heater.
i have a kettle of water on the stove ready to light, and boil, usually by the time the kettle has boiled, the inside of the van is warm enough to get up and get dressed.

If the water in the kettle stayed liquid, that's not the coldest camping we've done...

vanis13 Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm

fxr wrote: markswagen wrote: i've done a fair bit of cold weather camping, and have ever owned a heater.

If the water in the kettle stayed liquid, that's not the coldest camping we've done...

Guess that's the difference between starting in San Diego vs Bay area ;)

IdahoDoug Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Oldspice,

You may know this about the Buddy heaters, but for others, the Big Buddy not only has a built in fan with a couple D cell batteries, but the heater can run 11 hours on the low/50% setting using the two built in propane bottles. Which would overcome even 0 degree outside temps and lets you sleep in very late before someone has to swap fresh bottles. The fan could be more powerful but I think they were going for "no draft" air movement out of a long grille slot vs swirling it around the room.

For swirling, we use a Caframo marine grade rubber bladed fan. Great product that seems pricy. However, after 25 years of multi day constant on, falling all the time on the boat, and tearing up 3 rubber blades from various mishaps, it still runs like a champ. We bought a 2nd one for the Vanagon last week. Spare blades are $3 and we always keep one on hand now.

zoti Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm

dhaavers wrote: ^^^ FWIW: Behind passenger seat was my compromise...

Granted, I'm only one season in so far, but after running this rig about 20 days/nights I've had no issues at all
with heater cabinet touching either the seat pedestal <or> the Dometic 12v fridge I strap right up next to it... 8)

- Dave

How did you route the intake and exhaust?

jimf909 Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:04 pm

^^^ My question too.

dhaavers Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 pm

^^^ So noted...here's 1000 words worth:

...plus additional related verbiage & such...

Exhaust, specifically: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9294584&highlight=#9294584

Install, generally: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9293855&highlight=#9293855

8)

- Dave