TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Silicone spray, how long do I need to wait?
BotanyBandit Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm

I will be painting my car soon and only have a two week window after it is sprayed to get the windows installed so that it can be loaded up and moved cross country. When Installing the windows and new rubber people suggest using silicone spray to help lubricate the process and even help keep rust away. My question is how long do i have to wait before it is safe to use the spray? I know you are not supposed to use wax on new paint because it traps the off gasses or something like that.. so is silicone spray any different?

cheers

KTPhil Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:38 pm

I would use hand soap instead of silicone spray (Gojo or similar, creamy not chunky).

Snowbro Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:08 pm

i just used soap and water. worked great

rcooled Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm

KTPhil wrote: I would use hand soap instead of silicone spray (Gojo or similar, creamy not chunky).
I'll second KTPhil's recommendation for using one of the cream-type waterless hand cleaners instead of silicone. Cleanup is a breeze and it won't hurt the paint.

[email protected] Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 am

Unless you have a heated paint booth to bake the paint, it will still be curing in two weeks. Anything silicon does crazy stuff to paint, old, or new, so I would use something else like suggested. Keep the age of the paint in mind when installing the windows, and during your move. Any damage will most likely not be a simple scratch that could possibly be sanded out, and will most likely be a gouge, or chunk out of fresh paint.

slalombuggy Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 am

I've only ever used dish soap and water to install glass.

brad

bill may Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:57 pm

slalombuggy wrote: I've only ever used dish soap and water to install glass.

brad
dawn dish soap.

Cusser Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes, use liquid dishwashing liquid and water. Will be way easier to wash off completely. This comes from someone who has only installed two rear windows, lifetime.

By the way, this is detergent, not soap (soap is the salt of fatty acids); remember, I worked 40+ years in this field (don't confuse deodorant and antiperspirant either). OK: consumer product chemistry lesson over !!!

Jemezcrusher Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 am

brad

That and windex

Zundfolge1432 Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 am

Jemezcrusher wrote: slalombuggy wrote: I've only ever used dish soap and water to install glass.

brad

That and windex

Windex is good for everything, cuts,scratches,minor burns,jock itch,etc
Just kidding :D