TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Wasted youth Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

That's great! Nothing like a cruise around the neighborhood to keep the motivation up. Nice work! 8)

KentABQ Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:50 pm

YEE haw!!!

That first drive is the greatest, isn't it?!?

notchboy Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice! \:D/

wcfvw69 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Feels great bringing something back to life..

Nicely done. :wink:

TDCTDI Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks guys! Yes, it's great to be able to at least move it around (especially since I can now get it on a lift.).

Today's update is not as entertaining, just some more paint removal from the leading edge of the roof.

Pinetops Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:34 am

Looks better and better.

TDCTDI Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Pinetops!

Saturday I went back out to the Parts Pig & liberated the front beam & other parts.

It was a lot easier getting out than putting it in.

Since I had to remove the shifter linkage to get the beam out, I took that too & decided to clean up & grease up the shifter & linkage.

Here's the slop in the original.

And after.

lil-jinx Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 am

Amazing!

TDCTDI Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

lil-jinx wrote: Amazing!
The transformation of the Crusty Pig or the crap that I put my car through? :lol:

Today I tried to sort out the horror that is the electrical system, so much was butchered, spliced & disconnected. I got all of the ignition wiring sorted & the turn signal switch reconnected only to realize that the turn signal relay is bad. The good news is that I now have head lights, high & low beam & the side markers work. Unfortunately, in trying to sort out the dash lights, I now have to figure out why the oil pressure light no longer works. I'd post pics but I don't think anyone wants to see the carnage that is the wiring system.

TDCTDI Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 am

Here's today's Crusty Pig Pig update, I prepped & painted the rest of the wheels.

And today some parts showed up so I can finally make it road worthy.

I had to get the battery tray, I don't know how much longer that dry rotted 2"x6" is going to hang in there.

lil-jinx Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

What's amazing is,you find a pile of dung under a tree and discover that there is a decent bus hidden under it, and all it took to find it was about 3 years work done in 6 months.
As for how you treat your car,I understand why you put the beam in it,it is too awkward to tie it to the roof.

VAEV1993 Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:24 pm

This is awesome! Keep it up!

TDCTDI Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

VAEV1993 wrote: This is awesome! Keep it up!
Thanks, I plan on it.

lil-jinx wrote: What's amazing is,you find a pile of dung under a tree and discover that there is a decent bus hidden under it, and all it took to find it was about 3 years work done in 6 months.

I don't know about decent, but after seeing your project, it certainly seems so. :shock:

As far as three years worth of work in six months, I'm thinking it's more like three weeks worth of work spread out over six months, but I just chip away at it as I can. My goal has been to "lay hands" on it every day & just do something to it no mattter how insignificant, & ultimately it has all added up to a running, almost driving beast.

Today I focused on getting the lights working better.

I removed the front turn signal lenses & cleaned them.

I think that I found some sort of primordial ooze in there.

Then I removed the corroded bulbs.

Then cleaned the contacts, my battery post terminal brush works quite well for this.

Then I used some aluminum ducting tape to freshen up the reflector.

And then reassembled it all & sealed the gasket with some black RTV, not proud of it but it'll do until I can get new ones.

notchboy Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

The turd gets a little more polish every day 8) :lol:

TDCTDI Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am

notchboy wrote: The turd gets a little more polish every day 8) :lol:
The Crusty Pig is proof that you really can polish a turd, just as long as it has dried up first. :lol:

AHHHH! WHAT THE F%#£?!?

I definitely jumped back & maybe even screamed like a girl. :oops:

I then used the aluminum ducting tape again to revive the reflector & installed a LED bulb.

Running light.

Brake light (actually turn signal, but same difference.). Mo betta.

metz Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 am

Resurrection is definitely the word. Keep it up! I dig following this thread.

Gonzo1970 Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Been there, done that... Multiple times.

Headlight had a bunch, both taillights.. Lost count of the ones above the headliner..

I even had two blow out of the exhaust system when I fired it up.. lol

Good job! I may be having my "first drive" this weekend if all the stars align.

-Gonz

TDCTDI Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Gonzo1970 wrote:
Good job! I may be having my "first drive" this weekend if all the stars align.

Thanks Gonz & good luck on the first drive!

metz wrote: Resurrection is definitely the word. Keep it up! I dig following this thread.

Thanks Metz! That's a hell of a compliment considering how your bus is shaping up, the Crusty Pig wants to be like yours one day (but it ain't happenin', at least not on my watch. :D ).

Today I spent another couple of hours stripping some more paint.

Check out what a difference the LED bulb & reflector rejuvenation makes, the left side is done, the right side is next.

The difference is even more impressive at night.

Gonzo1970 Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Sold me on LED's right there.

-Gonz

TDCTDI Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 am

Gonzo1970 wrote: Sold me on LED's right there.

-Gonz
The only downside is that the LED's lower draw causes the flasher relay to flash rapidly as if there is a bulb out, I'm going to wire in additional relays to get the flasher working properly, but then I won't get the rapid flash to know if one of the bulbs isn't working.

Today I checked the fill level of the steering box.

And then tracked down the grease nipples on the front beam

Cleaned them & pumped two tubes of grease in to displace the old goo.