TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
74superTN Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 pm

So I checked out the search but couldn't find anything...What company is everyone using for rear spring plates?

Bashr52 Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:27 am

Stock, just re-indexed.

74superTN Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:23 am

Bashr52 wrote: Stock, just re-indexed.

Doesn't that ride like crap?

Wildthings Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:34 am

74superTN wrote: Bashr52 wrote: Stock, just re-indexed.

What are you trying to accomplish?

GI Joe Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:16 pm

There is a place called Atomwerks, or something of that nature. Zingy used these, and had good service from them..(I think that's right?)

Bruce Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm

74superTN wrote: Bashr52 wrote: Stock, just re-indexed.

The ride is exactly the same as if you put some zig-zag spring plates on it. Don't fall for their marketing bullshit.

63ziggy Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 pm

I went opposite with raised plates from Atomwerks. Essentially same as lowering plates they sell/sold. I got them early on in their days. No issues, retained stock ride function without the pre-load on torsions(re-indexing).

Note: The company had gone from independent seller to Mid America selling their products. With that said, there has been a ton of drama surrounding company etc. Not going there. not sure if they are still in business and selling.

it is basically a z-plate design

74superTN Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 am

I looked at AtomWerks website and I guess you have to call to make an order. I'm just looking to lower my rear to even out with my already installed beetle beam

waxhead Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 am

I found a set in the classifieds and installed them on my '74. The advantage is that you can fine-tune the ride height a lot easier than messing around with re-indexing (which is what I tried initially).

Wildthings Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 am

74superTN wrote: I looked at AtomWerks website and I guess you have to call to make an order. I'm just looking to lower my rear to even out with my already installed beetle beam

As others said the effective geometry of lowering or raising plates is the same as the stock system. Your money would be better spent on new torsion tube bushings and reindexing the bars.

74superTN Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Alright so AtomWerks looks to be out of question.....

Any other companies sell them? I just keep hearing that reindexing makes your Thing ride worse that spring plates

Shoyrtt Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:24 pm

I have no affiliation with this company:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1802013

74superTN Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Shoyrtt wrote: I have no affiliation with this company:

Perfect, thanks!

Bashr52 Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 am

74superTN wrote: Shoyrtt wrote: I have no affiliation with this company:

Perfect, thanks!

Are you talking about adjustable plates or those Z shaped "drop plates"?

74superTN Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Bashr52 wrote: 74superTN wrote: Shoyrtt wrote: I have no affiliation with this company:

Perfect, thanks!

Are you talking about adjustable plates or those Z shaped "drop plates"?

Well I was talking about those Z shaped drop plates but it looks like those are out of the question. AtomWerks has gone out of business.... Adjustable plates and reindexing looks to be my only option

74superTN Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Ok so I lowered the rear of my Thing by adjusting splines. Is it normal for there to be no tension on the torsion bar after this?

Wildthings Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:08 pm

74superTN wrote: Ok so I lowered the rear of my Thing by adjusting splines. Is it normal for there to be no tension on the torsion bar after this?

Not sure what you are talking about. How many splines (inner and outer) did you change it by? A few of splines one way on the outer and a few the other way on the inner will make a big difference in ride height.

74superTN Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Nevermind I'm dumb. I was talking about the preload but it's not preloaded anymore because I'm not resting on the stops.

sidemarkers Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:21 pm

From an IRS type 3 standpoint I recently switched to the atomwerks 3 inch drop plates. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has driven daily for the better part of 25 years and indexed both raised and lowered with IRS. The improved ride quality and handling characteristics with the atomwerks plates vs stock plates indexing 2 splines is almost unbelievable.

Bruce Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm

sidemarkers wrote: ... is almost unbelievable.
That's because there's no difference.
Any improvement is all in your mind. Or you did other changes at the same time.
The spring plate is only a connecting link between the torsion bar and the TA. The shape of this rigid connection is irrelevant.