TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My wife 1974 Thing!
gabo Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:39 am

Hi everyone! Mi name is Gabriel Fonseca, I live in a country called Guatemala. I been a long time looker and reader here in the samba, great resource of information for me.

I had a few VW's in my life, my last bug was a '67 that is sold about 9 years ago, after that had bmw's, suzuki, honda, nissan... but i always wanted to return to my roots, yes that is vw's.

Few years a go I bought a 1974 vw Kombi, that I really have enjoied putting back on the road. A friend told me about this thing been for sale, got the phone and talked to the seller.

We got an agreedment on the price, but I could not go get it only on a long weekend, so for the independence weekend (september) I went with a good friend to get it.

So, I present to you "El Kaibil" my wife's 1974 Thing.

This is how the owner keept the car under a roof:

From left to right me, Don Julio the PO and my buddy Duglio AKA "The Clown".

I'll be uploading more pics in the progress of the project.

Cheers!

gabo Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:05 am

At home the fix begins...

Hated the tubes that the PO installed, got them out!

A few other bits I had collected.

Installed and ready.

gabo Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:26 am

Well, long story short, got El Kaibil running, brakes got fixed and we are now enjoining the car, is fast, cool and reliable.

Now got an electronic ignition and it performs amazingly. A frien of mine had all the frames for the top and I made a copy of it and also copied the windows.

Got a new steering whell on the car, I think it looks really nice.

Finally got a new set of tires for it.

Went with my boy camping!

oasis Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:38 am

Nice!

Kaibil -- Guatemalan jungle warfare and tactics. (Had to look it up.) Cool! 8)

GI Joe Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 am

Looks like a vary solid Thing! That "roll bar", top support rigging was just silly! Good move in pulling it out.

Always fun to start new adventures with your children! Good job on that!

guppysoup Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Looks like a good find. Where are you in Guate? I really like Guatemala excelent fishing (sailfish) and beautifull countryside like Panajachel. I think I need another trip down there!

gabo Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks everyone for the comments! The car has been def a great find! This is the only VW I have bought complete (paperwork and title ok), case, motor, solid pans, good paint...

I made a trip to Mexico a few weeks back, I'll be putting the coverage of that trip, had a little incident on my way back but nothing that does not have a solution. I'm really loving the car, it belongs to my wife but I'm def enjoying it! lol

I'm located in Guatemala City.