TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
rpaitich Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Everett,

Use of the word, "advert" in the text alert suggests a UK or African origin.

Ron

EverettB Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Yes, this is a very good possibility, thanks for the tip for members

Also "the item" is often a red flag.

campingbox Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 pm

A few minutes ago I received a text from [email protected] It seemed like an unusual conversation and a quick google search led me here. Thanks for posting your troubles, it saved me some hassle.

G Falk Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 pm

another scammer in response to one of my ads: 509-739-7013, Offering an "immediate payment via PayPal", and that they "will bear the cost of moving the item". The "item" is a car!

EverettB Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am

The scammers have been texting people with a message and website link that leads to a fake Samba login page:
Text message with a link to a "free" website:

Fake login page on that website

If you look at the address line at the top, this website is NOT from TheSamba.com

It's from "webhostapp.com"

If you enter your username/password on that page, they will steal your account information and use it to post scam ads here.

scrivyscriv Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47 am

PatrickK wrote: Here's one I got a few days ago. Google searched the number and it's on a couple reporting sites. 509-739-7013

I just got a text last night with almost identical wording.. I told him to add 10% for paypal fee and I had to have the money within two hours or no deal. LOL he wrote back and called me a scammer because paypal fee was 2.9%, and he was going to block me!
I removed my phone number from the listing. Everette is there any way to hide phone numbers? Most honest to goodness buyers will call if they really want to buy something as big as a car, so I hate to remove it entirely but I just don't want to deal with scammers at all hours.

scrivyscriv Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am

Also it's really easy to use a phone number spoofing app.. all these numbers that are reported here may or may not be scammer numbers. They may just be made up phone numbers some scammer came up with at random.. usually (but not always) they are a similar number to your own phone number.

DL West-Wiperguy Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm

I see I'm not the only one who has been getting responses in messenger for item's I have just listed here. I have seen a few numbers on the list correspond with a few I have received. They all start out is this still available? I'm ok with the asking price. I need your full name and address to send check to. I started sending photos back to the number. I have like 5000 photos of stuff I have listed. I respond with are you getting the photos? I will send more if you like. LOL!

EverettB Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time

mandraks Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 pm

EverettB wrote: Sounds good to me - blow up their phone if you have the time

use this for inspiration

polakinnodak Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Hey Everett and everyone else — I came across this text this morning. Doesn’t seem legit to me. Any thoughts?

If you guys think he’s a scammer, then there’s one more loser scum to add to the list.

DL West-Wiperguy Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:14 pm

I have been sending them photos of parts I have listed like as many as you can before he blocks you. This works the last time I received one I seen the text this person has to pay 25 cents per photo. I sent about 100 Photo bomb!

EverettB Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:23 pm

polakinnodak wrote: Hey Everett and everyone else — I came across this text this morning. Doesn’t seem legit to me. Any thoughts?

If you guys think he’s a scammer, then there’s one more loser scum to add to the list.

This text is 100% scam text

Notch On Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm

New number to add to the list 213-433-0864. Text only would not get on a call. Wanted to send extra fund to have me pay his shipper.

Trevor P Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am

New text scam by a guy that calls himself “Ofer” and claims he’s from LA California. This guy has stolen the real Ofer’s identity including his drivers license which he will gladly text to you to try to look legit. I have contacted the legit Ofer guy and he’s aware this dirt bag continues to scam people using his name. The # is ‭+1 (424) 245-2787‬.
DO NOT deal with this scammer!

EverettB Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Yes, this person has been reported directly to me as well.
I have seen his fake driver's license as well.

The phone # is in my list on the site and has been blocked as he tried to also post a few ads here.

bradschroth Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 am

Look out for Ofer. He's an FBI agent!

EverettB Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 am

I made a thread for this person as they seem to be contacting a lot of people right now:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=737990

Zacharysayre Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:29 pm

I got this a few minutes after posting my ad.

New it was a scam when they asked for my info to mail check. Ad says cash or paypal.

EverettB Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks!