TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My wife is gonna be mad! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Redneckgearhead Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 am

Well I got an offer I couldn't refuse for an ole DB for the unbeatable price of free! Yes free! Two motors and two transmissions came with it. The former owner said he bought it 15 years ago and has been tripping over it ever since. He wanted it gone. I drug it home today.

I've been into cars since I was about 13. Only worked on one air cooled vw, it was a 1970 super beetle that an exgf dad owned. He loaned it to me while my truck was getting fixed after an accident. The brakes were shot and it shook violently taking corners. After new shoes and lower control arm bushings it drove beautiful. But any ways back to the present day. I have no idea what I've got if anything. The former owner had no idea.

Vanapplebomb Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 am

Now that buggy project looks like a lot of fun!

B Ramsey Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:50 am

That's a homemade pan buggy. I see a swing axle rear and a link pin front. There should be some numbers on the pan that will give away the year. 1960 or so probably. Looks like alot of work. One of those engine is a dual port, and worth more than the other.

Dale M. Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:05 am

Just looking at pictures you have a king & link front suspension so that makes the front end 65 or earlier..

Transaxle appears to be 68 or older as its a "swing axle" and not IRS which stated in 69..

You have one engine with possible 12 volt generator and what looks like maybe a air conditioning compressor and single port heads and one engine with "dual" port" heads... If engines sat out in weather with carbs uncovered they are probably rust frozen...

Chassis is pretty rough may be good for poking around on back lot but needs a lot of TLC...

Might be a "fun" challenge to get it move under its own power but would not spend a whole lot of money till you see if engines will at least run...

And its a addiction and no know cure... Not even 12 step program...

About the "gun ball machine"...

Dale

Redneckgearhead Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info and encouragement. The dual port is seized. I'm gonna try to get the other one running. I've gotta order a starter for it.

Bama Dave Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:40 pm

For free, you have a gem. I have no way of knowing the MN laws, but if you can make it street legal, then deck it out and run it! Nothing like a fun little vehicle. You will get a LOT of attention in that. Good luck.

Redneckgearhead Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:29 pm

I got a start on it today. I didn't have much time so this is all I got done. My buddy had two used 14" tires so I threw them on to get rid of the dry rotted ones that were on there. A quick coat of paint and here they are. My 6 year old is dying to put them on.

Redneckgearhead Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Teaching the next generation​ and getting him involved. He made me promise to let him help put the wheels back on.

Redneckgearhead Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Ok, my starter is on its way from amazon. I should have it running by Saturday. My plans are to see if the motor runs and how good it runs, then make a decision based on that. If it does smoke an generally needs a rebuild would it be better to rebuild or find one in good running condition? Is there a place that I can ship my cylinders out to and have them bored if needed? Who has the best prices on rebuild kits? I have rebuilt several motors, old to new and have most of the tools needed barring any specialty vw tools.

Bama Dave Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Well, I recommend you do a bit more reading on these engines. The engines are fairly simple, compared to others. You will be able to buy parts and do it yourself. No need to bore it or anything, just replace the jugs for that part. You can spend a couple hundred to $10K on an engine, so you can choose. If it turns by hand, it will probably run. The carb may need cleaning. Check all,of that once you get the starte. I hope it fires up!

Redneckgearhead Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Bama Dave wrote: Well, I recommend you do a bit more reading on these engines. The engines are fairly simple, compared to others. You will be able to buy parts and do it yourself. No need to bore it or anything, just replace the jugs for that part. You can spend a couple hundred to $10K on an engine, so you can choose. If it turns by hand, it will probably run. The carb may need cleaning. Check all,of that once you get the starte. I hope it fires up!

I've been googling and reading, I see that about the jugs. I'm gonna bring the carb in to work tomorrow we have an ultrasonic cleaner that should get it spotless. Thanks for your comments.

Redneckgearhead Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Ok so after work this morning I climbed in the DB and found what I think is the chassis number, It is 3456763 but looking at the VIN decoder in the tech section I can't make heads nor tails of it. Am I missing some numbers?

I took the carb with me to work to tear it down clean it up and I ordered a rebuild kit for it. I've discovered that it's missing the accelerator linkage, I hope there's one on the other motor. I got to work and our ultrasonic cleaner is full of glue pump parts so I'll just give it the old boil in lemon juice treatment tomorrow when I get home. I pulled all the check balls and taped them up in masking tape to make losing them a little tougher to do. But there is what seems like a plastic piece behind the choke housing that doesn't want to come free, see pic 3. Am I missing something or is it just really stuck? I don't want to break it.

Dale M. Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Your type 1 chassis number 3456763 made between October and November, 1960, when chassis rolled off assembly line so it makes probably a 61 model year...

Dale

Redneckgearhead Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Dale M. wrote: Your type 1 chassis number 3456763 made between October and November, 1960, when chassis rolled off assembly line so it makes probably a 61 model year...

Dale

Thanks!

Redneckgearhead Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:46 am

Picked up a gallon of vinegar, a can of carb cleaner and some disposable aluminum pans at Walmart on the way home from work. Threw the pan on my propane burner and heated the vinegar up nice and warm before soaking the carb in it. The carb came pretty clean, finished the job with carb cleaner and compressed air. Hopefully my kit comes in tomorrow.

rockerarm Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 am

Redneckgearhead wrote:

Teaching the next generation​ and getting him involved. He made me promise to let him help put the wheels back on.

Ahhhh, contributing to the delinquency of a minor!!
Just kidding, WELCOME, and that young man will thank you someday for this.
Bill.

Redneckgearhead Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks Bill.

Well my starter came in, I was surprised to see its an ac Delco reman and not some Chinese knockoff. Well I've learned something today as well, at least one of the differences between 6v and 12 v vw's. Looks like I need a different bushing, if I can't source one in town I'll make one at work. I'm a bit concerned that the person that modified it got a little over zealous with the grinder and got into the starter bushing hole hopefully it's not an issue, if it is I'll take it to work and Tig some metal back around the hole.

Also I've convinced the wife we need to drive 3 hours to crookston mn to attend a vw swap meet.

B Ramsey Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm

You could get an autostick starter. No bushing needed.

rockerarm Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Correct suggestion on the auto-stick starter. Also used in the automatic trans VW's and the 914. Personally, Ive had friends buy a AutoZone starter and pay the core charge for the purpose of having a rebuildable unit for someone.
Bill.

Dale M. Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Correct... BOSCH SR 17 (or equivalent) auto trans starter solves all issues... As long as you have 12 volt flywheel (130 teeth)...

Dael