TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dispersed Camping near Bend?
Powder2 Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Hey folks,

The wife and I are taking the kiddos on a PNW roadtrip this summer. Planning on visiting the Bend area and looking for good places to park the Westy for a couple of nights in one of the nearby National Forests. Any suggestions? I promise to keep it a secret. :D

Thanks in advance!!!

Tobias Duncan Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Just pulled up Bend on my ioverlander app. It shows several promising looking campsites.

regis101 Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Isn't the entire state of Oregon one giant campground? Lucky

seans67 Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Crane Prairie Resevoir, accesssed from S. Century drive (Hwy 42), just search it in your favorite map app. Used to be great camping accessed from forest service roads, some right on the water.

There are actually all kinds of great places to camp around there, just south of Bend. Fun place to explore.

kbeefy Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Theres a ridiculous amount of dispersed camping in central Oregon. Just turn up any forest road and drive until you find a spot you like.

I live in La Pine, about 35 miles south of Bend and have an acre with big trees, plenty of room if you would like to stop somewhere with a toilet and a shower! I'll even go camping with you locally if nothing else is going on...

Chainsaw Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Bend completely sucks and there is nowhere to camp. The end.

Powder2 Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess it's true that part of the fun is exploring and finding a good spot. Good to be pointed in a good direction though. Much appreciated.

climberjohn Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm

There is some nice camping in Deschutes National Forest to the SE of Bend. Arnold Ice Caves is a pretty cool spot, out in the sagebrush high desert, with some interesting sunken lava tube caves. Can be a little hot out there in the summer though. Might be a better day trip. If it's hot in town you want to head to higher elevations up past Mt. Bachelor.

Here's the latitude longitude coordinates for the ice caves.
Copy and paste this into Google to see a map and exact driving directions to that spot. Use the satellite view to get a view of the sunken lava tube.

Ice Caves
43.9029, -121.1622

Here is a nice camping area about a quarter-mile away with some trees:
43.9027, -121.1685

Have fun!
CJ

newfisher Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Tons of spots. Just got back from 2 nights north and south of Bend. Friday eve dispersed near 3 creeks Sisters area, Saturday saoked the Turkish pool at Mcminamins and watched the Earth day parade. Had a bonfire at cabin 22 restraunt for dinner then LaPine/Wikiup reservoir area Saturday night.

Dogberry Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 pm

I'm not in the states at the moment but will be in Bend in about 10 days. You'll need to look at snow closures as The Cascade Lakes Scenic By-way is often not open till later in the year... there are 2 or perhaps three dispersed sites along the entrance road to Sparks Lake... right near the road but beautiful and an easy drive from town. You'll need one of those Recreation permits to access some of the more popular areas. Dillon Falls is beautiful but no camping there. You can get in off Cascade Lakes Hwy from the north or at Lava Lands visitors center off & south of town. I always end up out in the Fort Rock area on the top of some cinder cone...