TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First rebuild with some questions
turtleman62 Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Hey guys I have been in the process of rebuilding my first aircooled (AE 1600 dual port with dual 34ict's) engine and at the point where I have to order a few parts and would like some guidance. I am trying to do the build as budget friendly as I can and reuse old parts when I can. I found out the pistons are 87mm and still look in very good shape along with the bores, is it a big deal to reuse these or should I get new? The cam needs to be replaced due to pitting and since I am replacing it would I benefit with going with something like a engle 100 or a scat c25? The engine is going into a baja bug but more of a street/off road bug since we don't have much off road trails or baja here in ND lol. Thanks for any input :)

sawed off Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:31 am

I built my 1600 reuseing pistons and cylinders as they were in good condition. Hone the cylinders and check pistons for cracks around wrist pin area.

nsracing Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am

I was stationed in Minot, ND back in the 80's.

Just do an overhaul for now..change out rings and bearings, rehone cylinders, regrind valves/seats.

Hate to see you mess up good new parts on the first time out. Save the full build once you get the experience from the overhaul.

turtleman62 Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 pm

nsracing wrote: I was stationed in Minot, ND back in the 80's.

Just do an overhaul for now..change out rings and bearings, rehone cylinders, regrind valves/seats.

Hate to see you mess up good new parts on the first time out. Save the full build once you get the experience from the overhaul.

Thats find of what time thinking. I still have to restore the beetle to get it road worthy no point in putting a bunch of money in something this is going to set.

laker Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm

turtleman62 wrote: nsracing wrote: I was stationed in Minot, ND back in the 80's.

Thats find of what time thinking. I still have to restore the beetle to get it road worthy no point in putting a bunch of money in something this is going to set.

the only thing i would change is instead of a engle 100 or c25 go with a web 218/119 8.5-1 cr with aluminum pushrods