TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 3D printed heater flap retainers NLA Page: 1, 2  Next
Gnarlodious Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am

WANTED: Someone to make these NLA part(s) on a 3D printer, VW 251259143 Plate Left side and 251259144 Plate Right side. See below above where one clip is bent and the other broken off.

These are small slide-in retainers that hold up the heater box footwell flapper rod on ’84 and newer Vanagons.

I have acquired both pieces as a prototype that I will send you, and when you are finished you have to return them to me, or a reasonable facsimile.

These are somewhat damaged but you should be able to derive the entire part from both, as they are symmetrical.

I was planning on glue-in retainers as the VW snap clips seem to have been a failure, causing many of these to drop out and disappear. The retainers slide up into these slots and form the bottom of the hinge hole:

Once this project is accomplished I will expect the print file to be made public.

agon.parts Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am

Send them my way and I'll send you an STL that you can 3D print.

djkeev Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm

That would be great if someone did so, I needed one and I seem to recall fabbing something, I'll see if I can locate what I did.......

Dave

jismay Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm

If anyone does end up needing existing .STL files printed I can print up to approx 4" square on my printer in either PLA or ABS filament.

Just let me know, I'm more than happy to print off a few parts for the community.

dobryan Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Just ordered a nice 3D printer kit for my son and I to play with. Looking forward to making stuff... :D

Paulbeard Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Prolly a shedload of NLA plastic gubbins that could be made…vent flaps/diverters first off. A replacement for the brittle abomination around the steering column (*not* a replica, thankyewverymuch) would be a worthy project.

agon.parts Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:16 pm

I got the parts. I'll try to get working on them this coming week. Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

jmranger Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm

More pictures: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/retainer-t3-heater-box-flap-rod-left.html

agon.parts Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:34 pm

jmranger wrote: More pictures: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/retainer-t3-heater-box-flap-rod-left.html
Perfect. Thanks :!: :D

Gnarlodious Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

The clip that is bent is almost broken off. It should go straight up to a detent in the top. Truth be told, I have never seen one intact.

As for the second question, I don’t think it is a problem. A picture of where it slides up into:

Another side:

agon.parts Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 pm

I posted the STL's here: http://print.agon.parts/

Let me know if they work or if anything needs to be adjusted.

agon.parts Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 am

Was anybody able to test the files?

jmranger Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am

I just had a look in MeshLab, since I don't have a 3D printer or a specific need for these parts. AWESOME!

Were these fully drawn or 3D-scanned?

Would you consider adding two info to your readme: the original VW part number and a link to the thread were these were discussed? I feel that your repository will grow significantly over time.

For anyone who lacks a 3D printer, in addition to jismay's offer above, there are web sites out there that links you with people who offer 3D printing services all around the world. I've used https://www.3dhubs.com/ in the past with good results. Just make sure to get them printed in a heat-resistant material - the commonly used PLA isn't.

agon.parts Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 am

jmranger wrote: I just had a look in MeshLab, since I don't have a 3D printer or a specific need for these parts. AWESOME!

Were these fully drawn or 3D-scanned?

Would you consider adding two info to your readme: the original VW part number and a link to the thread were these were discussed? I feel that your repository will grow significantly over time.

Thanks! They were designed from scratch.

Yea, definitely I was thinking about doing that. I'll add that info to the readme file.

raoul mitgong Mon May 01, 2017 12:06 pm

If you don't have a printer, check your local library. Denver has them for free, just PLA though.
https://www.denverlibrary.org/idealab3D
-d

Gnarlodious Mon May 01, 2017 5:31 pm

User jismay from this forum offered to print up some so I thought I’d give him a few days. Will report when I get a result.

agon.parts Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Gnarlodious wrote: User jismay from this forum offered to print up some so I thought I’d give him a few days. Will report when I get a result.

Yea, no worries. Hopefully it works well the first time around. Let me know how it goes! :D

jismay Sat May 06, 2017 9:26 am

Gnarlodious wrote: User jismay from this forum offered to print up some so I thought I’d give him a few days. Will report when I get a result.

I'm tossing them on the printer right now. We'll see how things come out.

jismay Sat May 06, 2017 4:58 pm

This is the first print.

Black PLA plastic printed at 1.75mm layer height.

PLA should be good before even starting to get soft up to ~140*F

As soon as another pair of the PLA clips prints out I'll see about printing one in ABS plastic, that should be good for even higher temperatures.

Gnarlodious Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 pm

That looks great! I'll test them out in short order!