TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Turn 59 horn wiring into later type
harrycrackerdog Tue May 02, 2017 5:34 am

Ok before I do something I regret
rebuilding a 59 ghia and parts have been sparse, on the steering tube I am fitting back up I want to put the billet gauge holder on for oil temp and pressure as I am having a cb 2176 engine.

Being a 59 steering tube it has the holder for a bushing half way up which is getting in my way for the gauge holder.

If i cut it off is there any reason why I cannot rewire the horn the later method to the bottom of the steering tube

thanks in advance

VeloMikey Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am

I wouldn't modify the tube for the bracket. The tube is the same as a the beetle but when they are gone they are gone. Buy a different bracket or put the gauges under the dash. Here is a single gauge holder that attaches to the column https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1447752.

Here they are under the dash

harrycrackerdog Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Sorry I am going to cut it 😬Will be very neat with dremmel and possible to tack back on if I change my mind much later.

I just want to know if there is any reason why the later type set up for horn will not work ?

Thanks

c21darrel Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

I other than paint, looks pretty simple to drill out the spot welds and then the reverse to put back. Why doesnt the gauge mount slide over the top? looks like the offending part is lower and would not interfere with install. Please educate me :oops:

harrycrackerdog Tue May 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Top of tube is flared out for nylon shim (no bearing) so cannot go that way and bushing holder is too low down tube to stop before it so need to go past.

Like you say will drill out welds, I'm comfortable with that just want to be sure can wire this up as newer wiring method to end of steering tube

Thanks

VeloMikey Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm

How does the 60 and up horn ground? Could you notch the aluminum band enough to slip it over the bushing tube and let the set screw do it's job? Add a set screw to each side of your notch! Three set screws and that thing is not going anywhere!!

harrycrackerdog Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm

From what I can see the brown wire goes to bottom of steering shaft and earth strap crosses over coupler to ground on steering box

I did think about notching out the gauge holder just didn't want to weaken to breaking point taking a good 20mm out if it 🤔

c21darrel Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks missed the part about the top flare. As much as I always try to modify the cheap part...I think I would remove and replace (and repaint). Looks like 2 small welds each side. It will still be correct. I agree taking a big chunk out of the holder could weaken it.