TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Page: Previous  1, 2
vwjetboat Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Letterman7 wrote: Why complicate things? Why not just put the water jet back in it? RPM's should be close to the original engine at cruise, plus you gain a little bit of torque. Hook it up to a clutch mechanism coming off the crank pulley like you're attempting.

the water jet is going back in.. see the brand new blue wear ring ? ^^^

vwjetboat Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:28 pm

vwjetboat wrote: Letterman7 wrote: Why complicate things? Why not just put the water jet back in it? RPM's should be close to the original engine at cruise, plus you gain a little bit of torque. Hook it up to a clutch mechanism coming off the crank pulley like you're attempting.

the water jet is going back in.. see the brand new blue wear ring ?
^^^
and no its not even close.. the impeller will be turning about 8000 rmp at wide open throttle .. so the engine needs to be match that by way of a pulley.. almost 2-1 ratio .

vwjetboat Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 pm

1994 sp 18.8 pitch.. here is more info.. http://www.seadoosource.com/impellerref.html

Letterman7 Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Have no idea what the wear ring is or what it looks like. I only dealt with SeaDoo's a short while when working at a resale boat dealer back in the early 2000's. RPM ratio sounds high, but then, weren't they Rotax motors?

What about using a supercharger pulley and belt? I'm not entirely sure two 1" belts will give you enough "grip". http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCD-Blower-Belt-And-Magnes...mp;vxp=mtr

Since you have to do a 2:1 ratio, there might already be a toothed pulley out there somewhere.

vwjetboat Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Letterman7 wrote: Have no idea what the wear ring is or what it looks like. I only dealt with SeaDoo's a short while when working at a resale boat dealer back in the early 2000's. RPM ratio sounds high, but then, weren't they Rotax motors?

What about using a supercharger pulley and belt? I'm not entirely sure two 1" belts will give you enough "grip". http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCD-Blower-Belt-And-Magnes...mp;vxp=mtr

Since you have to do a 2:1 ratio, there might already be a toothed pulley out there somewhere.
Well the wear ring is the ring around the jet pump impeller.. it makes the pump.. when new.. put out 100% of what it was suppose to.. after time sand and stuff wear it down ... before id spend 200 on a really nice looking belt system like that.. I would use timing gears off a rabbit golf jetta of some sort & timing belts like off a honda gold wing that are almost perfect.. i have two used ones .. RPMS i am not sure off.. never owned a jet ski.. googled and that was top speed of a few. so not real sure.. love to find the exact info but then. does it matter? only thing that is 94 sea doo is from transom back pump fit the 98 yellow ski im using.. because.. it was all free.. but wear ring that was 13 bucks..

vwjetboat Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am

well yesterday I bought carbs for the boat engine.. of someone on here.. dual 32/34 pict