TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sellers in the Classifieds
11Bravo Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 pm

So are those that list they are parting out late model Supers just advertising or do they really want to sell parts? I sent emails to 4 folks with a shopping list (weeks ago), I'm sure (since the list was long) they all would have had some of the parts I need. One is even within driving range to me. So what gives? I know emails from here aren't hitting my spam folder, just no replies.

Mr. Electric Wizard Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 pm

My luck has been good and bad.
Craigslist is way worse than here though.
I don't think it's a spam folder deal though either.

amishman Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 pm

11Bravo wrote: So are those that list they are parting out late model Supers just advertising or do they really want to sell parts? I sent emails to 4 folks with a shopping list (weeks ago), I'm sure (since the list was long) they all would have had some of the parts I need. One is even within driving range to me. So what gives? I know emails from here aren't hitting my spam folder, just no replies.

Maybe a smaller list and then once you lock in... see if they have more.

Maybe they will see they have a serious buyer and don't have to do as much work.

People can be lazy.

Maybe too exhaustive of a list the seller don't want to deal with so many items thinking it is more work and tire kicker.

Just a thought if 4 did the same thing. Maybe the list scared them away. :twisted:

TJ

Gary Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm

A problem as old as The Samba itself which has been discussed many times.

The most recent concerning your issue: Help me understand the Classifieds....

The history of Classifieds issues.

11Bravo Wed May 17, 2017 4:59 pm

amishman wrote: 11Bravo wrote: So are those that list they are parting out late model Supers just advertising or do they really want to sell parts? I sent emails to 4 folks with a shopping list (weeks ago), I'm sure (since the list was long) they all would have had some of the parts I need. One is even within driving range to me. So what gives? I know emails from here aren't hitting my spam folder, just no replies.

Maybe a smaller list and then once you lock in... see if they have more.

Maybe they will see they have a serious buyer and don't have to do as much work.

People can be lazy.

Maybe too exhaustive of a list the seller don't want to deal with so many items thinking it is more work and tire kicker.

Just a thought if 4 did the same thing. Maybe the list scared them away. :twisted:

TJ

It was only 6 small interior pieces and two pieces of engine tin as I don't want aftermarket. I will try a smaller list though, and like you said Start a dialog.
Thanks

Sharp64 Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 pm

I've actually had better luck posting WTB ads at times than inquiring to individual sellers.

Mark Evans Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

I have also replied to some ads this week with no response from the sellers, and those were single item ads.

11Bravo Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 am

Mark Evans wrote: I have also replied to some ads this week with no response from the sellers, and those were single item ads.

It could be they already sold the item, and lacked the manners to tell you. How many threads have you read where suggestions were offered and then the post dies. The right thing to do is thank people who took the time to respond and if it was resolved explain what the poster found which might help others. JMO from an old guy

Mark Evans Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

2 of the ads are still up.

pondoras box Thu May 18, 2017 12:41 pm

If they have posted their number call them, just don't assume they read all their e-mails, I was able to get a window I really needed and the seller sold it to me because I was only one who actually called and left a message.

If you really need it e-mail, call them, and if you really need to send a PM.

And there is one seller on here and he sells A LOT of stuff, I call and send e-mail, it takes him a while to respond but he always does. I think bottom line is most sellers are hoping for a local sale so they don't have to deal with the hassles of shipping quotes and then the "buyer" doesn't follow through with purchase because shipping is too much or what ever.

Buyers have their part to play in all of this too, and we are all judged on the behavior of the people who came before us.

Be patient, persistent, and be prepared to pony up when shipping from California is high. It sucks when the shipping is higher than the cost of the part but that's they way it is.

That being said, sometimes nothing works, if they don't want to get shipping quotes then they just aint gonna do it. That's pretty much why I don't sell stuff on here, I work 50 plus hours a week and my free time is worth more than what I can get from selling a few extra parts.

Mark Evans Thu May 18, 2017 1:47 pm

That will also depend on how bad I need the part. I won't beg for a part to be sold to me, I expect the seller to do their share of effort. One of the ads, the price has been marked up, and is still listed.

11Bravo Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Mark Evans wrote: That will also depend on how bad I need the part. I won't beg for a part to be sold to me, I expect the seller to do their share of effort. One of the ads, the price has been marked up, and is still listed.

That for sure is suspect, I wouldn't buy from him if it was the last part available in our Galaxy! The parts I bought from one vendor here, took forever to get. Over paid I'm sure and what arrived was crap. It's a good thing I can Tig weld and spend another few hours of my time repairing the junk I received.