TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New to VW question.
Spence73 Fri May 19, 2017 4:56 pm

My wife has had a 73 Bus for years that ran but had a transmission problem and has set for a few years. My question is if I pull the engine and decide to get rid of it around how much is it worth. Possibly going to swap it for a more reliable set up and selling the old engine to help fund the swap would be great just don't know what a fair price is. Thanks

Also if more info is needed just let me know

Glenn Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Is it the original engine?
How many miles?

Does it run?
I would take a video to prove it to any potential buyer.

Spike0180 Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Unknown engines aren't worth .ugh and are hard to sell, it's better sell with a car or part it out. Just my .02

Wasted youth Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 am

I bought one fully dressed Type 4 2.0 1977 engine that turned over by hand without any gurantee whatsoever for $350 and I bought a 1980 fullly dressed Vanagon engine under same circumstances for $100

I think I got great deals on both because I approached it mentally as a spare parts grab, and not a spare running engine fantasy.

The correct Bosch distributor, useable California exhaust and AFM on each of them damn near costs that much through the classifieds alone.

Later, I pulled a 010 autotrans out of the junkyard for $100 and I will always have a core for my 1987 Westy on standby. Totally worth it... to me.