TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bug reassembly time
Joseph DR Tue May 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Approximately how long does it take to reassemble a bug? This is a ground up resto/mod with new wiring, seals, rubber, one piece headliner, the works.

Paint, cut n' buff will be finished on June 20th.

I'm off for summer break and plan to dedicate most of my time on the bug. I want to have it road worthy by mid August when school starts again. Is this a reasonable time frame or am I living in the land of make-believe?

Disclaimer: This is my first time doing this sort of thing.

FullFender Tue May 30, 2017 8:22 pm

you said this is your first time doing this, are you doing it alone? with a friend? Are you starting with just a bare pan and reassembling from that point or is it a roller and you are putting together just the body related items like wiring interior etc?

Joseph DR Tue May 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Doing it alone. Chassis is done: brakes, lines, trans, suspension. Engine is at the builder and will be done soon.

I just need to do the body related stuff. Thanks.

beetlenut Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 am

Can't imagine you wouldn't be done before August, unless you have a problem with the rebuilt engine. Even doing some things twice, you should still be done in plenty of time.

ateneo Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 am

I agree with Beetlenut, you have plenty of time to assemble your bug since your deadline is mid-August.

I remember years ago when I had a 1964 bug, I installed a new wiring harness in it. I have never rewire a VW before but it only took me 1 day to install the whole wiring harness. I bought my wiring harness from BFY Obsolete Parts right before they started scamming people. Well, that is another story with bad memories. I was able to get my parts from BFY after I pestered them daily for 4 weeks.

I believe that if you put in 4-6 hours a day working on putting together your bug you will be done way before mid-August.

Joseph DR Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks for your replies and encouraging advice. I'm excited about getting this lil' bug together and driving again :D