TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Got thrown out of a local car show tonight Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Randy G. Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Went to Ruby's Diner in Whittier for their weekly Friday night car show. Kind of a tradition for a group of us. I showed up one Friday with my '62 and won a plastic trophy. Showed up tonight with the '64 and got thrown out. Rules are rules. American made cars only. Sucks, because the '64 was nicer than a lot of the cars that showed up. They shoe'd a VW bus out, too.

Pruneman99 Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Should have just moved your car to a public spot near the show and showed your car. Probably would have got as much attention.

Once I stopped in a local watering hole for lunch and a beer in my '65. When I came out, my car was surrounded by people and other vintage cars.. Apparently, there was a car show scheduled I didn't know about. No one said anything to me when parked my car in the strangely empty parking lot when I went in. I guess the lot was reserved for the show. When I went to leave, some off the other people with show cars asked why I was leaving before judging. I just said I wasn't in the show, it's my daily :lol:

Maybe I could have won best "hoodride" if I had stayed :roll:

Btw, you have some very nice cars!

Randy G. Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Thank you.

I did exactly what you said. I pulled into the aisle behind the one we were parked in, outside of their roped off spots, and parked it behind my friend's '67 'Cuda.

One not so funny point I should mention. A friend of mine with a '51 Merc pulled into the parking place where I original had my Bug parked before they asked me to leave, and about 2 hours later a guy who looked to be in his 80's backed his heap into the front bumper of the Merc while manipulating his boat into a parking spot. I guess that was my reward for keeping my mouth shut and just moving my Bug when asked.

Pruneman99 Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Na, he would have missed the bug, it's half the length!

But that's some bad luck about the Merc, those parts are not found very easily. Hope the guy is going to make it right.

rcroane Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 am

I was refused entry to a car show recently because I brought my dog. Mostly muscle car types. On the other hand, went to a VW show last weekend and they had a Top Pooch contest...my dog won first place :wink:

gt1953 Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:45 am

Well some American people are just like that. Sorta like at the Jerome Jamboree. If it is not a VW or Porsche you are not allowed in period.
Our local cruise night is full of American made autos. The flip side is everyone there always looks at the VW and has a story.

Cusser Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:49 am

Most of our VWs are "American made" - built by us !!!

How many decades has it been when so called "American vehicles" were 100% made in USA ???

Even our 1994 Suburban was built in Canada, and who knows how many components or parts of components came from outside US ?

60ragtop Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 am

Why are you surprised/disappointed when it says American cars only :?:

hitest Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 am

About 20 years ago I thought a couple guys were going to duke it out because an older guy tried to bring his "restored" WWII-era Jeep to our show. We got to hear all about his rights, how he was more American than all of us driving Hitler cars, and so on. We showed him our show permit and offered him a free Police visit. He declined. He did what he wanted- stirred things up and made it about himself. During the scuffle, he was asked his rank and he had nothing- it turned out he never served!

Zundfolge1432 Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 am

Cusser wrote: Most of our VWs are "American made" - built by us !!!

How many decades has it been when so called "American vehicles" were 100% made in USA ???

Even our 1994 Suburban was built in Canada, and who knows how many components or parts of components came from outside US ?

My 93 and 95 Ford Lightnings were both 100% American made by men and women represented by the UAW, it doesnt get any more American than that. These vehicles were low production and you don't see many on the road anymore they are classic now. :D

cbeck Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Now you know why I have been doing mud trucks for 20 years.

splitjunkie Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Cusser wrote: Most of our VWs are "American made" - built by us !!!

My 93 and 95 Ford Lightnings were both 100% American made by men and women represented by the UAW, it doesnt get any more American than that. These vehicles were low production and you don't see many on the road anymore they are classic now. :D

You can only say it is 100% American made if every single part down to the last nut and bolt was made in the US. In '93 and '95 there was already a lot of parts coming from different countries going into all US made cars. I had a '94 F-150 with a 5 speed manual that was made by Mazda.

splitjunkie Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Randy G. wrote: Went to Ruby's Diner in Whittier for their weekly Friday night car show. Kind of a tradition for a group of us. I showed up one Friday with my '62 and won a plastic trophy. Showed up tonight with the '64 and got thrown out. Rules are rules. American made cars only. Sucks, because the '64 was nicer than a lot of the cars that showed up. They shoe'd a VW bus out, too.

Probably my favorite year Corvette.

carcrazed Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:27 pm

I absolutely hate when they exclude foreign cars. I have 2 bugs PLUS I have a classic Ford and Chevy. Years ago, I was a member in a car club in western Pennsylvania. I only had my Ford and Chevy at that time. Well, in 1998 I bought my 65 beetle. In turn, those bastards kicked me out of the club for owning a foreign car. Needless to say I have no desire to be in a car club. It's usually the old farts that don't accept the foreign cars. F*k them them!
At those type of shows, I agree with what was previously said, I park my bug as close to the roped off area as I can....ya know...just to piss them off.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 pm

carcrazed wrote: I absolutely hate when they exclude foreign cars. I have 2 bugs PLUS I have a classic Ford and Chevy. Years ago, I was a member in a car club in western Pennsylvania. I only had my Ford and Chevy at that time. Well, in 1998 I bought my 65 beetle. In turn, those bastards kicked me out of the club for owning a foreign car. Needless to say I have no desire to be in a car club. It's usually the old farts that don't accept the foreign cars. F*k them them!
At those type of shows, I agree with what was previously said, I park my bug as close to the roped off area as I can....ya know...just to piss them off.

Yah fuck em twice them them :D this kinda reminds me of the VW scene where you have one camp that likes all VWs then the other which is strictly air cooled. Later model vs the pre 68s. Etc.etc. the model T guys get shitty when a 55 T bird shows up. But what all these things have in common is a theme. So some ass clown shows up driving something different they have every right to tell you to hit the road. If you are a guest what gives you the right to ignore the rules? Better yet put on a car show, work your ass off then have a wise ass show up wanting to do his own thing. Bet you'll change your tune. :D

iowegian Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm

carcrazed wrote: I absolutely hate when they exclude foreign cars. I have 2 bugs PLUS I have a classic Ford and Chevy. Years ago, I was a member in a car club in western Pennsylvania. I only had my Ford and Chevy at that time. Well, in 1998 I bought my 65 beetle. In turn, those bastards kicked me out of the club for owning a foreign car. Needless to say I have no desire to be in a car club. It's usually the old farts that don't accept the foreign cars. F*k them them!
Old people are evil. :evil:

Volktales Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:48 pm

I have been attending many diverse car shows/events for the last 40+ years. Many have basic rules. It is often obvious if it is a "one-make" show only. Showing up at a VW show with a Corvette, and you might not be welcomed with open arms either. Can't say I have ever attended a show that only allows "American" cars. Have attended events that are strictly age limited however, usually 1972 and earlier. This arbitrary cut-off point has been quite contentious as time goes by, and fortunately is less common now. One local show that generally features 600+ cars, also features a "cruise" through the local neighbourhood. One year I was yelled at for driving my '74 bus during the cruise when some crabby old lady screamed "That's not a hot rod!" Well, Duh...

Fortunately most others were enlightened at this "everyone" welcome show.

And to the original poster. That is a damn nice VW!

andk5591 Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:51 am

Rules are rules unless the are selectively enforced. I worked the gate at a VW (water and aircooled) show a couple years ago. The show was advertised as VW only. Had at least 20 Porsche (not VW based kits), Audi and Japanese tuner cars show up that I turned away. Couple of them got pissed....What part of VW show is not understood?

Also, I attend a few AACA shows. Our 61 Cal Look bug is welcome (aftermarket wheels and suspension mods are OK) but the VW Woodie is not because of body mods. I park in an "overflow" area along with a couple other "modified" cars. It is what it is.

shano63 Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:20 am

Cusser wrote: How many decades has it been when so called "American vehicles" were 100% made in USA ???

My 04 wrangler and my old 01 ram were assembled in mexico while my civic was built in kentucky or one of those mid west states, go figure

Steve Suttle Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:31 am

You should have shown them the DDB ad that touts the VW as being "as American as apple strudel."