TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Chloem1207 Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I took my 78 bus camping for the first time over the weekend. I had just left the campground office and was heading to the site and we heard a thud so pulled over next to a stop sign to look under it. Nothing seemed wrong so we started the bus again, when trying to put it in first gear it went into first gear just fine, but as soon as you let off the clutch while pressing the gas, it makes a HORRIBLE noise and wont move. It ended up having to get towed to a mechanic but he cant work on it until Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone may have any ideas as to what it could be so I could think about repair costs.

TDCTDI Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Roll up under it & see if an axle came loose, or it blew a CV joint.

AB westy nut Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Did you try starting off in second gear?

ToolBox Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

Chloem1207 wrote: I took my 78 bus camping for the first time over the weekend. I had just left the campground office and was heading to the site and we heard a thud so pulled over next to a stop sign to look under it. Nothing seemed wrong so we started the bus again, when trying to put it in first gear it went into first gear just fine, but as soon as you let off the clutch while pressing the gas, it makes a HORRIBLE noise and wont move. It ended up having to get towed to a mechanic but he cant work on it until Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone may have any ideas as to what it could be so I could think about repair costs.

Call me, you have my number. You should have the bus gone over before hitting the road with it. Who knows how much lipstick is on it.

Spike0180 Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Oh crap, didn't notice you were in Michigan. Where at?

Chloem1207 Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Call me, you have my number. You should have the bus gone over before hitting the road with it. Who knows how much lipstick is on it.[/quote]

I completely forgot I had your number. It's already at a mechanic in Farmington since it had to be towed from the campground so they wouldn't impound it. I definitely should have had it looked at before I left but the campground was only a 13 miles away so I figured it would be okay, wont make that mistake again :(

Chloem1207 Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Spike0180 wrote: Oh crap, didn't notice you were in Michigan. Where at?

I'm in Canton Michigan. I'd really like to connect with people in the area :)

Wildthings Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 pm

TDCTDI wrote: Roll up under it & see if an axle came loose, or it blew a CV joint.

Yes, likely either sheared CV bolts or bolts that came loose. Maybe a combination of the two.

Tcash Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Bump

Chloem1207 wrote: Spike0180 wrote: Oh crap, didn't notice you were in Michigan. Where at?

I'm in Canton Michigan. I'd really like to connect with people in the area :)

Franklinstein Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Could this current problem have something to do with the reason the bus could not go into reverse recently? What ever happened with that Chloem?

Chloem1207 wrote: I recently purchased a 1978 westy, it runs great and I'm working on restoring the interior and eventually repairing all of the rust. Today I pulled it into my driveway to wash it, only to discover that I couldn't get it to shift into reverse to get it out of the driveway. I threw it into reverse when I first got it so I have no idea why it suddenly wont shift. Any suggestions?

Chloem1207 Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Wildthings wrote: TDCTDI wrote: Roll up under it & see if an axle came loose, or it blew a CV joint.

Yes, likely either sheared CV bolts or bolts that came loose. Maybe a combination of the two.

CV joints were just replaced right before I bought it. Basically everything was done to it except anything with the clutch/transmission :/

Chloem1207 Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Franklinstein wrote: Could this current problem have something to do with the reason the bus could not go into reverse recently? What ever happened with that Chloem?

Chloem1207 wrote: I recently purchased a 1978 westy, it runs great and I'm working on restoring the interior and eventually repairing all of the rust. Today I pulled it into my driveway to wash it, only to discover that I couldn't get it to shift into reverse to get it out of the driveway. I threw it into reverse when I first got it so I have no idea why it suddenly wont shift. Any suggestions?

Most likely, I had an appointment with mechanic it's currently to get that looked at this week.
Unfortunately I currently couldn't get under it, do mechanical work, or even manage to drive it because I'm having some problems with my hips. My boyfriend was driving when this happened, he works with cars on a daily basis but didn't want to mess with it :roll:

busdaddy Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Chloem1207 wrote: Wildthings wrote: TDCTDI wrote: Roll up under it & see if an axle came loose, or it blew a CV joint.

CV joints were just replaced right before I bought it. Basically everything was done to it except anything with the clutch/transmission :/
All the more reason to suspect that as a possible cause, sorry to hear your boyfriend doesn't share your enthusiasm or want to help you, is that still looking like a long term relationship?

Wildthings Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Chloem1207 wrote: Wildthings wrote: TDCTDI wrote: Roll up under it & see if an axle came loose, or it blew a CV joint.

That actually raises the chance that it was just the bolts coming loose. These bolts require a lot of torque and most people/shops don't get them anywhere near tight enough. VW even raised the torque by a third when they specced the same identical setup on the Vanagon, which pretty much eliminated the problem IF people actually put a torque wrench on them. Have whoever works on your van torque the CV bolts to the Vanagon spec of 33 ft*lbs verses the Bay spec of 24 ft*lbs.

Having the bolts retorqued again after 500 +/- miles isn't a bad idea either.

Xevin Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Sorry Cholem I'm jumping in here for myself.
Wildthings when I rebuilt my CV, I torqued to Bay Spec. I just rechecked after 500 miles a few days ago. Everything still in Bay spec. Should I go to 33lbs like Van spec or leave well enough alone at this point?

Wildthings Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Xevin wrote: Sorry Cholem I'm jumping in here for myself.
Wildthings when I rebuilt my CV, I torqued to Bay Spec. I just rechecked after 500 miles a few days ago. Everything still in Bay spec. Should I go to 33lbs like Van spec or leave well enough alone at this point?

I have consistently found that when the Bay spec is used the outer bearing of the CV has moved in relation to the hub. This can still happen using the Vanagon spec, but not all the time. Movement is not good as it stresses the bolts and may cause them to loosen or shear.

alman72 Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 am

yea, about that reverse problem....
It gets endlessly frustrating trying to find solutions to issues by using the search function vs asking a question. If you use search, find a thread describing exactly the issue you are having, open it up, and the original poster left everyone hanging. If you are going to start a thread, please try to close it out somehow. even if your solution is to not park in a way that you need to use reverse. It lets us know that you tried the suggestions offered up and what the result was. Good Luck with your current issue.

Chloem1207 Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 am

alman72 wrote: yea, about that reverse problem....
It gets endlessly frustrating trying to find solutions to issues by using the search function vs asking a question. If you use search, find a thread describing exactly the issue you are having, open it up, and the original poster left everyone hanging. If you are going to start a thread, please try to close it out somehow. even if your solution is to not park in a way that you need to use reverse. It lets us know that you tried the suggestions offered up and what the result was. Good Luck with your current issue.
I was planning on posting what it was after I had figured it out :) A few things have kept me from trying stuff that was suggested but I can assure you that I will post the answer to what the problems with the reverse and whatever this is as soon as I know

Spike0180 Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:49 am

What shop did you take it to? Munks? And I would love to get a little aircooled vw group going in Southeast Michigan. 8)

Chloem1207 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 am

Spike0180 wrote: What shop did you take it to? Munks? And I would love to get a little aircooled vw group going in Southeast Michigan. 8)

I took it to a shop in Farmington, someone in the Michigan vintage Volkswagen club recommended it to me and it was the closet shop that had experience with old VW's to where I was at the time so my insurance covered all of the towing expenses. I'd like to take it to Munks in the future though, I've heard really great things about them.
Feel free to PM me if you want my contact info. Are you part of LEAKOIL?