TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates
bay window dude Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 pm

The resurrection of my new 1970/71 weekender has been coming along slowly (I will post more pictures soon). Engine is built and broken in, new brakes/shocks installed all around, tie rod ends replaced and most electrical issues sorted out, so on to the interior.

When I picked up my bus, all of the interior panels had been ripped out already by the previous owner as they were trashed from leaking windows and rodents (based on the garbage I found next to the driver seat it had been sitting almost as long as I've been alive). I picked up 4 5x5 panels of Baltic Birch so far (the remainder of the inventory at my local lumber store) and will be doing the headliner first.

I have searched through the headliner/interior panel posts, but can't find any templates to print or reference. Does anyone have template drawings or just measurements to start with, or is making a cardboard template going to be my best bet? I will probably be going with 1" rigid foam insulation for the roof unless someone has a better recommendation.




KentPS Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 pm

It sounds like you've taken a giant leap forward in refreshing your Westy. Yours reminds me of my first one. \:D/

1" rigid insulation is... ummm... rigid. How do you plan on conforming it to the contour of the roof? You might consider Reflectix, which is a rolled reflective insulation that is pretty thin and effective. I've also heard of people using carpet, but don't know their results.

bay window dude Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Well, 2/3 are done; they were a pain to make with no templates and just as bad to install, but I think they turned out pretty good. I ended up cutting the rear one too small in the back, so I'll have to give that another shot and reuse the miss-cut for some smaller panels.





I will provide some drawings and measurements on the cuts I made when I have a chance to put them together.

I still need to figure out where the rear light cut should be made; if anyone has/could take a measurement, that would be appreciated.

Sally the Bus Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am

Good job! that looks great. I'm looking forward seeing the templates since I gotta dot he same thing shortly.

Thanks!

westysmb Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 am

That looks awesome! Did you end up using the 1" rigid insulation, or something else?

Also, please do post the drawings and measurements when you have the time. I'll have to tackle this project soon as well.

pantone149 Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am

I can send you a template that you can use for cutting door panels. It's a full-scale paper tracing that I used to cut 3mm thick birch in my 73 Westfalia. PM me and I can drop in the mail.

ewdb92 Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Looks great!

Col_Forbin Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 pm

great job! did you happen to take those measurements? mine came without panels as well so would be helpful. all the other panels were easy to mock up using cardboard but a little intimidated by the headliner

Col_Forbin Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm

oops.. double post. damn back button!

haggardrob Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am

Heres a good link I found for doing Westy interior panels, I dont think it has any dimesions, but it does give a good rundown of how/what to do!

https://zerotosixtyeventually.wordpress.com/2013/0...all-panel/

alinghi12 Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 pm

I'd love to get those measurements as well...... It looks so well cut!

ewdb92 Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:41 pm

alinghi12 wrote: I'd love to get those measurements as well...... It looks so well cut!

I have old panels that I can get rough measurements if you want, but I'm not sure how to convey all the curves for that front piece. People on this site have talked about making templates, but I've never seen any posted. Ideas how to do that? I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

Col_Forbin Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm

ewdb92 wrote: alinghi12 wrote: I'd love to get those measurements as well...... It looks so well cut!

I have old panels that I can get rough measurements if you want, but I'm not sure how to convey all the curves for that front piece. People on this site have talked about making templates, but I've never seen any posted. Ideas how to do that? I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

not sure how I missed this.. any templates you could produce would be a huge help! maybe draw out width, and max/min length?

brian rogers Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Im sure someone here has computer chops and could translate to a .pdf file. I've seen similar files for convertible body supports.

ewdb92 Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Col_Forbin wrote: ewdb92 wrote: alinghi12 wrote: I'd love to get those measurements as well...... It looks so well cut!

I have old panels that I can get rough measurements if you want, but I'm not sure how to convey all the curves for that front piece. People on this site have talked about making templates, but I've never seen any posted. Ideas how to do that? I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

not sure how I missed this.. any templates you could produce would be a huge help! maybe draw out width, and max/min length?

You need headliner only?

Col_Forbin Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 am

yes sir! I had templates for the rest. its for a deluxe so I dont have a reference for the wood headliner.. installing the u channel for the edges today. managed to grab that from a friends parts bus and took a bunch of measurement for where it mounts

Vee Dub Nut Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am

Col_Forbin wrote: yes sir! I had templates for the rest. its for a deluxe so I dont have a reference for the wood headliner.. installing the u channel for the edges today. managed to grab that from a friends parts bus and took a bunch of measurement for where it mounts

I need this info for my 74 too! Please post it up here 8)

ewdb92 Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Col_Forbin wrote: yes sir! I had templates for the rest. its for a deluxe so I dont have a reference for the wood headliner.. installing the u channel for the edges today. managed to grab that from a friends parts bus and took a bunch of measurement for where it mounts

Making a paper template seems pretty straight forward, but I haven't the computer knowledge to turn something that large into a digital document. I imagine you'd need a plotter to print them out on your end. Ideas on how to do this are welcome and if successful, I'll do all the panels I have.

I'll see what I can do this week in getting the template drawn. From there, worst case, I'll mail them.


Vee Dub Nut wrote: I need this info for my 74 too! Please post it up here 8)

My panels are from a 71 westy, not sure how they might differ from a 74 but let me know if a 71 pattern will work.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group