TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
djway3474 Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Now that the wayward chrome has found its way home I was able to put together a few sub assemblies.

Clatter Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:22 pm

*Whew*

Got to feel good to get your stuff..

djway3474 Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:01 am

Clatter wrote: *Whew*

Got to feel good to get your stuff..
Yep

djway3474 Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 pm

More adventures. I decided to pull the “rebuilt” AFM instead of trying to adjust, glad I did

The white residue where the wire is pointing is from a stack of double sided foam tape that was inserted to limit the travel of the door. I can imagine that being sucked into the motor. There was also a lot of filth and crusty inside.
I cleaned up another unit and put it in the car.

Hopefully this one is closer to a proper starting point.

djway3474 Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Made some rear bumper bracket seals from some leftovers I had sitting around from the Ghia.

Made a support for the muffler hanging iff the bumper bracket.

Not sure why photos have started uploading sideways.

djway3474 Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Got my Shine On 8)

Got some chrome on the car today. Still need final adjustments on the bumpers. I sent the headlight rings back as the finish was nowhere comparable to the finish on the bumpers. I hear they’ve been stripped repolished and going back in for chrome early next week.
Re the motor I built a paint can smoke tester to test for intake vacuum leaks. Had a hard time stopping smoke from coming out around rags in exhaust pipe or in front of air cleaner, I couldn’t detect anything around intake parts. On to testing electrical components.
Ordered some exhaust flanges today as smoke was coming around around the clamp for the muffler, it was more than I thought was acceptable.
But oh that a..

Bobnotch Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:53 am

The chrome bits really make the car, and look good on it. You're making very good progress. 8)

djway3474 Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:09 pm

Added a stainless tip to the Magnaflow muffler

djway3474 Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 pm

With the muffler in place and air tight I was able to put in the 02 wideband sensor. I also put in a fuel pressure tester.
With those two in place I was able to get it to idle within minutes.
Now on to fine tuning.

Oh and a belt decided to start howling like crazy. Could it be the oil that got on it a couple weeks ago is just causing the noise now?

djway3474 Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:16 pm

O2 sensor in place

Clatter Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:52 am

Shine On!

djway3474 Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 am

Clatter wrote: Shine On!

You may find this interesting, when the Beatles released Blue Jay Way I would sing along and insert my initials D J. Since the interweb came along I have always been DJWAY.
ROCK ON 8)

djway3474 Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:56 am

Finally got my headlight rings back and they are much better.

Jason37 Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:52 pm

Why is there an extra screw in the trim ring? Some variant?

djway3474 Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Jason37 wrote: Why is there an extra screw in the trim ring? Some variant?
They are the old European style.

Bobnotch Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Jason37 wrote: Why is there an extra screw in the trim ring? Some variant?
There's actually 2 extra screws. They're for headlight adjustment.

djway3474 Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Those screws adjusted the headlight via vacuum tube which also is used for the pivot points.
Well I had to take the alternator back out. I couldn’t tighten the belt enough to not slip under a heavy load. I did the math and discovered I could increase the size of the pulley on the alternator and still maintain the required rpm at idle, due to the large fan pulley. This should reduce load on the small belt. Took hours of searching but I finally found the correct size. I am also replacing the upper bracket with an adjustable rod which should make setting tension easier.
I also made a bracket to hold the decel valve

The wheel studs were installed

Once I test the motor to make sure the decel is working the only thing left is deciding which distributor to use then set timing. After that will be to drive the car and finalize the AFM settings. All that will happen after the alternator is reinstalled.

Clatter Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 am

FWIW, you don't have to run the decel valve.
It's just a smog thing..

Love the progress. Can't wait to get mine to that stage..

djway3474 Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:49 pm

After living through the 60s in LA smog I will do what I can. I don’t like popping either. :x

djway3474 Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Apparently I have the wrong actuator arns but should be an easy fix.

Here’s a photo of how the cable mounts to the seat base. I have another cable in the picture for reference.