TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanistan louvered window screen inserts Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
tencentlife Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Some folks have already seen prototypes of my louvered window screen inserts at BBtB and Syncro Solstice. I've been productionising for weeks, it's been a complicated project. But I'm pleased with the results, they're pretty nice, I hope you agree. If you like to go up in the mountains to camp in the rain and escape the heat like we do, these will be sweet. They're available now, more details and pricing on my site:

http://www.vanistan.com/louvered_window_screen_inserts.html

Please do not PM me here, email at [email protected] for inquiries, thanks!

Thanks for looking!

<edit: my original pics got blocked by Photobucket's sudden turn to extortion; new pics are hosted here on The Samba>

Zeitgeist 13 Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Very nice work! The T4 guys could use this feature, as well.

?Waldo? Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Those look excellent! Very well done.

ALIKA T3 Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:13 pm

Pimp result man! Looks dope! I was going to install Bay Window Jalousies, but these might be much easier :-)

Aryana Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Wow, very nicely engineered! (As usual...)

tarandusVDub Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Those look fantastic. Thanks so much for developing those. Top of the list now.

Aryana Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm

I bought some hand made screens from Canada, but every time I open and close the slider, the screens would shift out of the slots and I'd have to slide the screens and the window forward again.

I think with your design this would not be a problem? Sounds like they fit into place with the window locked in position, so the window and the louver frame can't move around?

I see the wing nuts there and assume those clamp the louver frame in place to the sliding window.

I may have to buy these!

tjet Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/253847766_p/253847766.htm

RainierSyncro Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Nice armored car look. just need a gun port installed under it.

canasync Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Nice design, would go well with the "black out" look I'm going for :-)

Do they seal well enough to prevent wind and water intrusion or must they be removed while driving?

peterT3syncro Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 am

Love them mate 8)
They are on my Xmas list now - nice one :lol:
Peter

tencentlife Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am

ALIKA T3 wrote: Pimp result man! Looks dope! I was going to install Bay Window Jalousies, but these might be much easier :-)
These can be installed or taken out in about 30 seconds each, no tools needed, so yes, quite a bit easier!

It's hard to find a place to put a large square panel, so they fold in half for stowing, and the folding allows them to expand into the window tracks top and bottom. The long tintop version is about 17 x 8 x 1.5" when folded up, the Westy window version is about 12 x 8 x 1.5".

Quote: Nice design, would go well with the "black out" look I'm going for Smile
Do they seal well enough to prevent wind and water intrusion or must they be removed while driving?
Yeah that's kinda the look I was going for (all my shots are close-up, I'll have to get you a wider shot of the van). I thought they would look boss with the black bumpers and racks and stuff everyone has. The finish I'm doing is called "oil-rubbed bronze", it's like a fine metal flake graphite with a hint of brown, nice neutral color from a distance but looks really cool close-up. It's a good base for other paint if you want to change the color, opening the louvers you can easily respray the whole exterior.

No need to take them out to drive at all, my idea was that you could install them in the spring and leave them in 'til fall. I've driven in a good rain too and no water got in with the louvers opened pretty wide (they open up to about 60º). If it's raining real heavy or blowing sideways you can always just close them enough to keep it out.

Quote: I bought some hand made screens from Canada, but every time I open and close the slider, the screens would shift out of the slots and I'd have to slide the screens and the window forward again.
I think with your design this would not be a problem? Sounds like they fit into place with the window locked in position, so the window and the louver frame can't move around?
I see the wing nuts there and assume those clamp the louver frame in place to the sliding window.

All exactly right. The 4 wingnuts hold slotted steel strips. To install, you open the sliding glass all the way back, unfold the insert into the upper and lower tracks, slide it forward 1/4" into the forward groove, then move the glass forward a 'til it locks into its rearmost locking position. That brings the glass to almost butt against the rear edge of the insert. Then on the inside you loosen the wingnuts a bit, slide the two slotted strips back (they move about 1/2"), and tighten the wingnuts. The insert is then tightly gripping the front edge of the glass. The whole thing is solidly locked in, gripped on all four sides so the panel is quite rigid, it's like it's part of the bodywork.

They're secure enough to resist idle tampering. I wanted to be able to safely leave our dogs in the van with ventilation, or leave it in a parking lot for awhile to shop or whatever. If you felt the need to close the van up tighter, as I said they can be taken out quickly with your bare hands. Someone who really wants into your car is getting in your car no matter what you do, so if they wanted to mangle these they could get in, but if some malingerer was casually looking for an easy way to get in these present a pretty fair deterrent.

All screens make a hissing sound when driving, you can get used to it but if you don't like the noise, the inside screen panels can be removed in seconds, also without any tools. Without the screens, the inserts don't make any more noise than just driving with the window open. You can pop the screens back in at camp if you need to keep bugs out. Since there's two half-size screen panels rather than a single large panel, they're also easy to stow when you're not using them. They're made from common hardware store screening materials, so it's easy to repair or even make new ones yourself if they get torn, mangled, or lost.

Quote: Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

The shorter Westy window version will fit that slider, according to Mike, but I want to physically confirm that. I may go up to RMW this month, or if not I'll get a copy into Mike's hands so he can try the fit. I really want those rear sliders myself!

Quote: Nice armored car look. just need a gun port installed under it.
Damn I wish I'd thought of that!

Thanks for everyone's kind words and comments! and happy 4th of July!

Aryana Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I couldn't wait. Had to order a set!

I like where the lever to open/close the louvers is positioned...you can just reach back from the front seat to move them.

Steve M. Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:48 pm

tjet wrote: Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

Will the Sliding Door open without hitting the louvers?

tjet Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Steve M. wrote: tjet wrote: Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

Will the Sliding Door open without hitting the louvers?

I took some measurements of my RMW right rear slider.

With the side door open, there's a little over 2-3/4" clearance. Note, I have a bus jalousie window on the door, and the frame is wider than the OEM window.

With the RMW window all the way open, it's aprox 11-1/8"

Steve M. Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm

tjet wrote:
I took some measurements of my RMW right rear slider.

How do you like the RMW rear slider? Is it a good fit without problems?
Thanks.

tjet Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 pm

the RMW rear sliders fit perfectly and look factory. I think they are German made

Steve M. Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

tjet wrote: the RMW rear sliders fit perfectly and look factory. I think they are German made

Thanks for the confirmation! The wallet is whispering again!

tencentlife Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Steve M. wrote: Will the Sliding Door open without hitting the louvers?

Yes, there would be plenty of clearance, the louvers when full open only stick out about 1.5".

tjet wrote: Will it fit the RMW rear slider?

Well if they only open 11.25" max, the Westy version needs 12.25" opening, so it isn't gonna fit. Thanks for the measurement.

I'm not gonna make three versions, especially since there will never be very many of those rear sliders installed. My first run for Westy's won't work. I could change the next run to be short enough to fit the rear sliders, they would fit Westy's too but would need some adaptation to have the same security. If my first run sells well I'll get into another run within a few months, so I'll take a look at that than.

Steve M. Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:36 pm

tencentlife wrote: Well if they only open 11.25" max, the Westy version needs 12.25" opening, so it isn't gonna fit. Thanks for the measurement.

I'm not gonna make three versions, especially since there will never be very many of those rear sliders installed. My first run for Westy's won't work. I could change the next run to be short enough to fit the rear sliders, they would fit Westy's too but would need some adaptation to have the same security. If my first run sells well I'll get into another run within a few months, so I'll take a look at that than.

Okay...Well since I just ordered the RMW Rear slider lst night put me down for a Passenger side when you get around to it. Don't blame ya for not having it or making 3 versions-we're lucky we get what we get from you!