TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Off to paint Page: 1, 2  Next
Pete VW Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Here is my Thing going off to body shop. Fixing a few rust areas and going with a new color. I will post some pictures as my build progresses.
Pete

Banker Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Wow it looks like it just got back from paint.

Pete VW Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:23 am

At 20 feet it looks pretty good but up close there's several spots were the Bando from a paint job nine years ago is swelling out with rust behind. The pan is solid. I am making a removable panel for easier motor install and switching to euro style tail lights.

GI Joe Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 am

She does look fr sh from paint! Good to get it back under. Patrol now, before she rots further!

Are You making the whole tail removable, or just doing the GI Joe mod to the apron?

Bashr52 Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:23 am

Pete VW wrote: At 20 feet it looks pretty good but up close there's several spots were the Bando from a paint job nine years ago is swelling out with rust behind. The pan is solid. I am making a removable panel for easier motor install and switching to euro style tail lights.

Going to copy my paint color and light setup?? :lol:

Pete VW Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:13 pm

I might as well go with new tail lights. Next I might as well cut out a panel to make engine install/removal easy. Not a good picture.

Semper_Dad Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm

I believe the Euro lights were the amber over red. Not like US Split Window all red that requires a different wiring setup. .

Bashr52 Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:04 am

Semper_Dad wrote: I believe the Euro lights were the amber over red. Not like US Split Window all red that requires a different wiring setup. .

Yep:

Pete VW Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I am new to VW's and Things. Learning as I go.
Looks like Euro will fit. I will be running a new wiring harness so I will be able to get either style to work.

Pete VW Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

Update on my Thing. Sand blasting showed that front was repaired at sometime but repair looked to be done right. Going to fix minor rust in battery area with patch panel from the TS. Hope to have in primer next week.

ALANSD Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am

awesome happenings. I wish I could do that. The PO did body work and a couple of spots have the small bubble from bondo being pushed.
I also would love to change the color.
How much will you be spending on paint if I can ask? Single stage or clear coat over?

Pete VW Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm

It will be single stage no clear coat. I don't have a price on paint yet.

ALANSD Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 am

sounds good keep us posted

tootype2crazy Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 am

That's a nice solid Thing you got there. Glad to see it coming together, keep up the good work!

Pete VW Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 pm

A lot of time on this panel. I hope it's worth it when I go to install engine,

Pete VW Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Finally in primer. Hope to have it in color by end of next week. I am happy with dash panel. Found that this Thing was originally white then yellow and when I bought it orange. Next you will see my color choice.

iltis74 Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Pete VW wrote: Next you will see my color choice.

What a tease.

I think modifying the rear like that is a smart move.

74 Thing Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm

As a person who has shoe horned too many engines to count out of a tight engine bay in a Thing, that is a well worth modification.

Can you give close up photos of what you used to re-fasten?

Thanks

Pete VW Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Finally in color. Watch out it's bright. New beam lowered with disc brakes. Next is rear disc brakes and lowered. Reassembling on going. Only frustration is engine tin what a PIA.

Hobug Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 am

I like both the color and the stance! (I know the back isn't down yet)