TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone own a food truck or trailer? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
NJ John Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Just starting out. We ordered a 6x12 concession widow trailer. Should be here in 2 weeks. Then the fun begins, converting it to a functioning kitchen.

TDCTDI Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

NJ John wrote: concession widow
Hah! I doubt you know how true this faux pas is.

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 pm

my wife does this for a living....food safety. you will need to check with your local health department.

line that thing with non porous food grade materials...like $tainle$$ steel. you will be blown away by permitting....in CT you need a permit for every town you serve in, plus a state permit. food service insurance, etc etc...

can it be done? yes. but you'd better dot your i's and cross your t's.

I cant tell you who or what, but keep clear of a major manufacturers ice cream for a bit :wink:

mark tucker Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: my wife does this for a living....food safety. you will need to check with your local health department.

line that thing with non porous food grade materials...like $tainle$$ steel. you will be blown away by permitting....in CT you need a permit for every town you serve in, plus a state permit. food service insurance, etc etc...

can it be done? yes. but you'd better dot your i's and cross your t's.

I cant tell you who or what, but keep clear of a major manufacturers ice cream for a bit :wink: ditto.
my brother has built a many kitchens for restraunts, it aint no cake walk, use a gas bbq grill outside, and a wood bbq grill out side, a micro wave inside, a frier out side. icechest with drink's & ice in it. make sure it's all permited and done right!!!!! and above all keep it clean, build it so it can be eazely cleaned and no hiding places for the unwanted freeloaders. make sure the refergeration is up to what will be asked of it., and exhaust fan sucken the heat out as it will be hotter than hell's blazes in there. paint the top with a raidaient barreir to help woth the sun's heat., make sure all the electric is big enough to handle the load, then go biger...use a good size generator with big tank and quiet too. you can make a good living doing this, but you need to have good food that people want. just a pertty trailer or girl dosent last long, and also location.

NJ John Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 am

Yeah, I'm already pulling my hair out. But have high hopes on our success.

mark tucker Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:27 pm

dont stress it dont help, do not pull your hair out, nobody wants food with hair in it and you wont last long if you look like you have the mange.

NJ John Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Just waiting on final inspections and decals. Also, a break in the weather.

chickengeorge Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Whatcha makin?

I just had the best Ramen ever and it was served out of a trailer outside of Portland OR. I asked the guy if he'd consider moving to Spokane. He said, "no". I told him I'd take good care of him...still "no".

nsracing Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 am

Have a co-worker start a food truck w/ her husband. They seem to be doing well - making like $1K or so everyday.

But the cost of the van was extensive -all stainless manner of things inside. Very nice indeed.

I have wondered about that too, maybe I can make a living cooking. LIke to try something new like that.

?That or push snow during winter.

NJ John Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:44 pm

All kinds of empanadas. Plus, fried shrimp and hot dogs. Just passed the fire inspection today.

ALLWAGONS Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Best of Luck to you Sir!

If I am ever in the area, I will sure try me some empanadas.

calvinater Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Lookin forward to a fried hot dog. Any where in the princeton area?

NJ John Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 pm

We'll be in Aberdeen, MD.
Regular hot dogs will be dirty water dogs.

I'm planning on a VW cruise evening.

IFVandal Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm

My wife and I owned a mobile donut business out of a 7x14 trailer. It was incredibly fun and made great money but we both had full time jobs with benefits that took precedence after 5 years and feeling like we had no time with our kids. Good luck and have fun with it.

vwracerdave Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 pm

It won't be a few months and you'll wish like hell you got a larger trailer.

Cusser Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

IFVandal wrote: we both had full time jobs with benefits

You have jobs that screw you ??? I know what "friends with benefits" is.

IFVandal Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am

You have jobs that screw you ??? I know what "friends with benefits" is.[/quote]

yup, they gave it to us good. Retirement, health and many other benefits.

Food Trucking is definitely fun but it wears on you after a while.

crukab Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

nsracing wrote:

I have wondered about that too, maybe I can make a living cooking. LIke to try something new like that..

After 41 years in Kitchens, I tell people they are NUTS to want to cook for a living. Maybe it is the fact that I started cooking as a J-O-B, a way to make $$$, NOT a passion, but damn, working nights, weekends & Holidays SUCKS..... :lol:

As far as your movable kitchen, I'd say go for it, find a good location where you get the max traffic for what your cooking, also doing weddings/partys ect. as Catering side gigs w/ the trailer would bring in good, quick piles of cash on weekends. Plus you can sell your trailer set up when you get tired of it.

obus Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 am

calvinater wrote: Lookin forward to a fried hot dog. Any where in the princeton area?

http://www.thehotdogstop.com/

obus Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 am

crukab wrote: nsracing wrote:

I have wondered about that too, maybe I can make a living cooking. LIke to try something new like that..

After 41 years in Kitchens, I tell people they are NUTS to want to cook for a living. Maybe it is the fact that I started cooking as a J-O-B, a way to make $$$, NOT a passion, but damn, working nights, weekends & Holidays SUCKS..... :lol:

As far as your movable kitchen, I'd say go for it, find a good location where you get the max traffic for what your cooking, also doing weddings/partys ect. as Catering side gigs w/ the trailer would bring in good, quick piles of cash on weekends. Plus you can sell your trailer set up when you get tired of it.

I agree! It is why i got out of the restaurant business and got into wine and liquor sales. For the most part i have weekends and holidays off and i am usually home between 5-6pm. If i ever did get into food again it would be a food truck or a diner that is open from like 4am-2pm LOL