TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '77 Bus Fuel sender - to cut or not to cut
Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:38 am

Need to replace my sender - to do it "properly" need to remove my carbs etc.....

or do i just cut an access hole?

Thoughts appreciated

busdaddy Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am

Only you can answer that question, but once you cut a hole it's hard to undo that.

Shop carefully for a new sender or rebuild yours, most new ones require the hole since you'll be changing it often.

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 am

thanks -

If I could make a good looking "hatch" that would help - I have a "European" made sender which may be of marginally better quality...

chachi Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:11 am

i say just fix it right and let the next guy fix it in 20 years.

Abscate Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

Balmoral1958 wrote: Need to replace my sender - to do it "properly" need to remove my carbs etc.....

or do i just cut an access hole?

Thoughts appreciated

Easy one. A note pad and situational awareness can replace a fuel gauge until such time as the engine needs to come out for a maintenance item - at which time out comes the fuel tank for refreshments of hoses and sender.

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

Okay - I believe I can remove the firewall with the engine in... just...

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

Why do people ask this? Like some dude on a forum really matters...

With all the junk parts out there....do it. I did and have for several others. Do it nice and neat. Shit....it was a fix that vw did as well....

aeromech Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am

I just cut mine. My reasoning was that VW would have made a access port but they were all into saving money. So I cut the hole and made a cover out of donar metal cut from the baggage floor of a similar year bus. In the end I did a good job and it's all covered up anyway.

Whatever you do, try to replace the sender with an original one, not one made in China.

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks - the forum serves a great purpose of giving a diversity of feedback - as we have seen. I'll see if I can find a piece of matching metal...
Any pictures of their hatch would be great...

aeromech Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 am

This is one I did in a 1972 bus

And I used a marine access cover

I can't seem to find pics of a cover I did using donar metal

mainstreetprod Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am

Easiest , cheapest and safest way is a 4 1/4" hole saw from Harbor Freight on a variable speed drill, with a little cutting oil. No sparks at all= no blowing up the block, as you might do with a grinder and cutting wheel if your sender gasket leaks any fumes at all. And you get a nice neat hole that can be covered with the marine cover posted prior. This may be considered a hack, but with the quality of today's senders it is a necessary hack.

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks! Appreciate the responses.

Tcash Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

Please use
Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
Thank you
Tcash