TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico
kenj06 Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 pm

If you are limited in your travels as I have been until now, you may not have run across some of the varying types of VWs that exist out of your little slice of the world. I ran across these while on a trip to Cozumel Mexico.

A whole row of dune buggies for rent, I haven't seen that many in one place outside of a show. A couple of what I guess to be customs based on the Polo available for rent from Alamo. Some Beetles modified to take advantage of the sunny weather there and seat 5 comfortably ( :shock: ?)
And also this poor Thing: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8518704#8518704
There were plenty of more pedestrian though custom, Beetles too. Wish there was more time to explore them all.

EverettB Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm

kenj06 wrote: If you are limited in your travels as I have been until now, you may not have run across some of the varying types of VWs that exist out of your little slice of the world. I ran across these while on a trip to Cozumel Mexico.

Don't drive that one in the USA. :)

The custom Polos are cool

Zundfolge1432 Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am

Wife and I in Cozumel 1989 with rented car. Back then it was a much different place not overdeveloped like Cancun on the mainland. Beautiful coral reefs and clear water. The hotel sent a type 2 to pick you up from airport or you could rent a new bug from Avis. We spent a week on the island. At that time all the tourist stuff was on West side. East side deserted and very private, you could be naked on the beach.

Went back about five years ago. They dredged the harbor destroyed much of the coral reef so cruise ships full of fat tourists can get right in to buy T shirts and other cheap shit. Place used to be very beautiful with iguanas running around everywhere and lush vegetation. I asked what happened was told several hurricanes took care of the trees and poor natives ate the iguanas. Jacque Cousteau would be very sorry to see what it has become now. I've got more pics including the VW dealer from 1989. At that time VWs dominated the island and we had a blast. Imagine being able to rent a new bug.

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm

I was there about three months after Wilma hit Cancun and Cozumel and both were pretty bad. The hotel we has always stayed in partially collapsed into the ocean. Both areas were changed significantly after that storm. My last visit to Cancun there were still buildings in the Hotel Zone that has essentially been abandoned since the storm.