TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trav'ler Stove questions
Schwing Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Hey guys I recently picked up an original Westy Trav'ler stove for my 72 that was not equipped with one from the factory. My original sink was missing so I decided to modify it so I could install this stove/fridge combo. Plan is to make this unit removable since I have a family of four.

Has anyone ever hooked up their stove to a 1lb green bottle? If so, do I need a regulator or just a simple adaptor?

Thanks guys. Oh and some pics.

williamM Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm

you will need a regulator

otiswesty Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm

The first time you turn it on without a regular is very interesting. Ask me how I know. :shock:

If you have any supply house with a fitting and regulator for the 1# bottle, you can get the threaded adaptor to the stove at Ace hardware that has a barbed house fitting.

Schwing Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:30 am

Ok thanks for the advice fellas. I will try to run to the depot today to see what I can find, and update what I figure out here.

vwwestyman Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:09 am

You'll have better luck at a place like Ace Hardware (or other locally owned hardware store) than Home Depot finding what you need, and a much better chance finding someone working there who can help you put together the kit you need to hook up your small cylinder safely.

You'll need a regulator for the small bottle, hose from the regulator to the flexible metal line I see there, and an adapter connector between the two.

If possible, if I were you, I would see if you can remove the flexible metal line and hook up your new rubber line directly to where the metal line connected.

danfromsyr Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 am

farm & fleet or Tractor supply often has a nice propane fitting rack.

you need one of these threaded into a propane BBQ regulator/hose assembly
it will replace the plastic tank adapter, it can be tough to remove, the inside of the plastic will accept a socket, the outside of the regulator will accept a crescent wrench. unscrew the old and screw on the new. USE THREAD SEALANT.

and ditch the metal corrugated line.
the fitting on the stove is 3/8 flare

Abscate Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 am

williamM wrote: you will need a regulator

Define "need" - do you mean if you wish to continue living?

Good on OP for researching this first.

williamM Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Abscate wrote: williamM wrote: you will need a regulator

I always encourage independent thought and the chance to "Learn by doing"-- or not doing-- We studied Darwin in high school.

busdaddy Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm

williamM wrote: Abscate wrote: williamM wrote: you will need a regulator

I always encourage independent thought and the chance to "Learn by doing"-- or not doing-- We studied Darwin in high school.
Eyebrows are over rated, who needs them? :wink:

williamM Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D Does Blazecut make a hat???- like birthday party balloons