TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can't disconnect hand brake cable from backing plate.
licketysplit Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 am

First post, so sorry if this topic has been covered, but I couldn't find info for busses. Anyway, trying to remove my backing plate on my 1966 bus. I can't figure out how the Hand brake cable disconnects from the backing plate. There is no bolt on the back side. Do I have to disconnect from the hand brake itself?

Thanks,
Toby

Clara Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 am

licketysplit wrote: First post, so sorry if this topic has been covered, but I couldn't find info for busses. Anyway, trying to remove my backing plate on my 1966 bus. I can't figure out how the Hand brake cable disconnects from the backing plate. There is no bolt on the back side. Do I have to disconnect from the hand brake itself?

Thanks,
Toby

pull spring away from backing plate.
remove U shaped clip
then cable should pull through backing plate.

don't lose U shaped clip.

licketysplit Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks Clara,
So I started pulling on the u-shaped clip and noticed it cracked a little bit. I wasn't pulling on the spring at the time. Just worried that when I pull the spring, then the clip, that it might break or not be able to go back on. Do you have any advice on what to do if the clip does break?

thanks

sgellis Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am

Clara wrote: pull spring away from backing plate.
remove U shaped clip
then cable should pull through backing plate.

don't lose U shaped clip.

Mine did not have clips when I took it apart so it didn't get any when I assembled it. The rust had seized the cables in there quite well and took a bit of work to slide them out.

Another thing to add on the list.

Clips...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656985

licketysplit Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks sgellis

I looked at that thread, but it didn't say where he got that clip. I pm'd GLHTurbo, he's the one that posted the pic of the clip. Do you happen to know off hand where to pick one up?

Thanks

sgellis Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:05 am

licketysplit wrote: Thanks sgellis

I looked at that thread, but it didn't say where he got that clip. I pm'd GLHTurbo, he's the one that posted the pic of the clip. Do you happen to know off hand where to pick one up?

Thanks

Don't think they are available. Those in the thread were hand made. Think I will try using a slotted finish washer for mine.

nlorntson Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 am

I've made them out of spring steel. The metal bands used on packing crates can also be used to cut one out.

hazetguy Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:53 am

use a horsehoe clip that is originally used for holding the e-brake arm mounting post to the brake shoe. crimp it slightly, enough to fit in the backing plate opening, and enough for the spring to set on it well, but not tight on the cable. fast, easy, inexpensive, works great.

licketysplit Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm

So I followed Clara's advice, but the cable would not come out of the backing plate. I was able to pull on the backing enough to get it around the spindle. Hopefully I didn't ruin the adjustment on the hand brake. :? Fortunately I was able to preserve the metal clip on the cable. But I bought a pack of horseshoe clips just in case.

:?: Any other ideas on getting the cable through the backing plate?

Thanks for all the help

sgellis Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:32 pm

I was replacing mine so I cut the cable and drove the casing out with a large punch.

Maybe try penetrating oil and a small punch to drive it out. Carfull not to hit the cable though. Unhooking the cable at the front will allow you to get the spring out of the way.

nlorntson Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm

licketysplit wrote: So I followed Clara's advice, but the cable would not come out of the backing plate. I was able to pull on the backing enough to get it around the spindle. Hopefully I didn't ruin the adjustment on the hand brake. :? Fortunately I was able to preserve the metal clip on the cable. But I bought a pack of horseshoe clips just in case.

:?: Any other ideas on getting the cable through the backing plate?

Thanks for all the help

The end of the cable is metal and that slips into the hole on the backing plate. They often get rusty and are hard to pull out with out some persuasion like a tap on a drift from the inside to push it out or at least loosen it. Heat or a good spray penetrate like kroil is another option.

The whole works including the spring on the cable will come out.

hazetguy Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 pm

it's also a lot easier to work with if the backing plate is still bolted to the reduction box.

grizpdx Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:25 pm

I swear by this stuff. Far better and far faster results than PB Blaster.

Begins buying stock in deep creep.