TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bolt On Sand Seal
limon Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 pm

I just finished installing an EMPI pulley and sand seal kit; instructions said to use #9118 Crank Bolt and Washer. I bought that too, but it stuck out about 1/16" of an inch after torquing it down. I reused the bolt that was on the engine, and it looks much better now. 30mm Kobalt socket was $6 at Lowes.

Wildthings Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm

You want to have 5 threads or so screwed into the end of the crankshaft. Maybe add an additional grade 8 washer under the head of the longer bolt, and/or grind a thread or two off of it.

limon Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Wildthings. I didn't count how many threads are seated - if it's not enough - I'll "Stack" both washers on the longer bolt.

Wildthings Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 pm

limon wrote: Thanks Wildthings. I didn't count how many threads are seated - if it's not enough - I'll "Stack" both washers on the longer bolt.

You just want to be 100% sure that the bolt doesn't bottom out in the hole. It also looks like one of your washers is concave, if you use two washer think carefully about which one to use where.

Bashr52 Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 am

You need that longer bolt due to the shim that goes between the crank and pulley. Without it the pulley with bottom out on the seal and destroy itself.