TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: One win, one fail.
anthracitedub Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 am

Decided to try to knock out a couple of lingering tasks yesterday.
One being getting a broken stud out of a nice engine case that I plan on using.
The other, fixing a transmission pan leak on a Buick.

I had previously tried to use an EZ out to go after the stud... but it snapped off! In disgust, I left the case sitting for another week to regroup.
I had a little off center room to try again with another EZ out and this time, a torch... went for it with heat and snapped it again!!!!

I decided to take my dremel with some diamond bits and cut a slot across the stud as deep as possible. I managed to do so and then tried the ole trusty impact driver with no results.... I tried this method a few times with heat, it may have moved it a tiny bit, but no go.

I had the bright idea to take a 1/4-20 bolt, grind a flat tip on it, dremel around the broken stud to expose some of it. I placed the bolt in the slot, placed a few hot welds on it, took my torch and continued to gently heat the area...after 3 tries, having to reweld the bolt, it finally popped loose and I have the stud out!!!

Now on to the fail..... the Buick was taken to a reputable shop for a trans service... upon getting it back, th pan leaked like crazy.... took it back 3 times and they couldn't get it.
I decided to go at it myself with positive attitude and a new AC Delco gasket.

Took it all apart, cleaned it all up real nice, new GM seal, torqued nice and even, new fluid... boom, leaks! Awesome! But not as bad as it did.

Another week or two goes by and I go for it again... this time with surgical precision, well laid out plan and a tube of RTV to lather up that AC Delco seal...

Went about the job with a clear head, good vibes and ninja like tactics... got it done... NO LEAKS!!!!! Awesome, I can finally have a clean driveway!!!

When I was cleaning up my work bench I found this....

Talk about a punch in the gut! There is no way in hell im dropping the pan to install this! It's a gamble, but I have some strong tool magnets and I stuck one on the edge of the pan next to the area where the original was supposed to be.... hey, it was a long day!😁

cdennisg Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 pm

What is that?

Also, good work on the stud removal. I have had good luck with the weld-a-nut-to-broken-shit method, but my welding skills suck so it often takes several tries.

anthracitedub Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm holding the magnet that sticks to the inside of the oil pan, it's supposed to pick up particles from the fluid.... I forgot to place it back in he pan😕

I was indeed stoked to get that stud out... I'll now get to move forward on another 40 hp build.

TDCTDI Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

If you're that concerned about it, just tape/glue a speaker magnet or other strong magnet to the outside of the pan.

mark tucker Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm

dang i thought it was a chocklate offering wafer :roll: Ive never used rtv on pan gasket of trans. most of the tyme it's the pan is warped at the bolts from some moron over tightening.always use a ballpeen hammer and knock the bolt holes back toward the bolt,make sure it's all flat and nothing to hold up any part of it. and make sure there is a washer under them if they require one.( the trans shop may not of put them back on,but most have a built in washer. or... the pan is effed up&soft so it bends eazely.never over torque!! it's just barly snug with a 1/4" ratshit ..and a tad more after a little while as the gasket will compress.. ( it will always compress, if you keep tightening it down.it needs to be clean & dry witch aint eazy, even breakleen lets the residue back on the serface if you aint quick. Ive done a few hundrad of them ....or more. on most all american trans. some are worse than others. many come with a round speaker type magnet in them. Ive never seen that kind in them. gladd you got it fixed. you might want to lightly snug it up(1/8th turn max) in a week or so. then dont mess with it. most all pan gaskets are junk :shock: some of the racing gaskets are pretty good. ( personally I think they make them crap so they keep selling them) I tried to always use the racing gaskets. they are a hard gasket, not the cork shit. some are fibrious(kinda like felt) that do seep a bit but dont usualy leek or squish out. and the other is a hard cardboard type with a shelaque/non stick type coating there about 1/16" thick. Im sure nowdays somebody makes a silocone gasket.

anthracitedub Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 am

Yeah, the gasket the shop put on was like a rubber band... the OE gasket can stand on its own...
I checked the pan last night and seen a little seepage around one area... looks like I might get another chance to put that magnet back in :evil: