TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 am

Had interesting business cards and note left on my front and garage doors.

"Interested in your 1961 VW Convertible please call. "

:-k
Hmmmm..
The car is not advertised for sale.. .its not outside in view. didnt recognize the name on the card.. (but that doesn't really mean anything)
Only a few in the area even know the car exists.. been inside for 20 years...and they know better .... (well now you all know both..)
I dont live in the city... and unless you know me.. you'd never know what I have from the street..... 500 + feet away from road.. not counting dead end road .. that has little travel.
Rarely have anyone to my home to buy parts.. usually meet.
That's even though I have found VW parts buyers are mostly ok and sincere..
All this added up.. and made me suspicious. and curious

Hmmmmm

So I called to find out what the deal was.. is..

1 never been to my home prior
2 got my name and address from an "undisclosed source" Id bet a police officer..
3 poked around my house and garage "seen I was into vw's"
4 looked in my garage windows and doors and "seen it and my other cars"
5 went to my neighbors house asking for information
6 called my parents and left a message thanks to my neighbor giving out their number. (my parents also my neighbors)
7 brought his dad with him as it was his old car in the 80's
8 wants to buy it from me and wants to come back to look at it..
9 would not even make an offer....
10 disobeyed the no trespassing, beware of dog, security and camera signs.

I obviously was not home..... during all of this..

Is it me.. or did someone cross the private property line a bit.. ??

Smile.. yes.. I got ya.. :wink:

I for one was taught.. if someone does not answer the door.. it means.... not home.. and/or leave them hell alone.. don't snoop around

If I want to sell something.. it's advertised. .

Of course.. anything can be bought for the right price.. sentimental value can be most profitable :-k ... hmmmmmm..

:lol:

I doubt Id sell it to him... just for the top 10 list alone.. :x
Plus.. it's really not for sale..
I have 2 more going instead..
I am only doing ONE more VW.. and it's the one..

anthracitedub Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am

I wouldn't get too worked up over it, life's kinda short. If they were true blue assholes, they wouldn't have left a contact and you'd be missing some stuff.

SamboSamba22 Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:20 am

People do foolish and sometimes disrespectful things in the motive of passion, love, and memories. I cannot truly justify this individuals motive or process, but as stated, if they were not "honest" I do not think they would have conducted their manner the ways they did.

In today's day and age, I understand one being weary, but I believe in the betterment of mankind, but then again, I'm young, and not always the brightest.
Who knows, maybe the fella is being genuine and wants to preserve a part of his family tale.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 am

Im not worked up really in the slightest bit.. .. .. just curious as to whether people feel a line was crossed..
And maybe see if others have had similar experiences.. or how far some have went.
10-1 odds.. some on here have aquired their VWs with similar methods.. :?

I've left notes on doors inquiring items in easy sight .. sure.. but that's as far as its went for me.
I was taught to respect privacy.

True.. nothing is safe.. or sacred ..... Times have changed..

vwracerdave Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:14 am

Yes the line was crossed by the "undisclosed source". They probably violated the privacy laws of the state by giving them your name & address. Somebody could possibly be fired for this.

I'd also have a visit with your neighbor for giving out the info.

Shoot him a price $10,000 above what you consider it to be worth. Don't let him look at the car until you are sure you want to sell it.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:30 am

^ agreed Dave .... maybe the poll should be LINES crossed. :lol:

IMO..multiple level of lines crossed..

10k above value.. yeah Id take that for it.. and.. should scare him off.. just never know though.. :wink: :lol:

In reality.. I could buy one done for that.. but.. thats no fun.. and besides.. Id just tear it apart to do what I want to it. :twisted:
So may as well start fresh anyway..

ALLWAGONS Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Had interesting business cards and note left on my front and garage doors.

"Interested in your 1961 VW Convertible please call. "

:-k
Hmmmm..
The car is not advertised for sale.. .its not outside in view. didnt recognize the name on the card.. (but that doesn't really mean anything)
Only a few in the area even know the car exists.. been inside for 20 years...and they know better .... (well now you all know both..)
I dont live in the city... and unless you know me.. you'd never know what I have from the street..... 500 + feet away.
Rarely have anyone to my home to buy parts.. usually meet.
That's even though I have found VW parts buyers are mostly ok and sincere..
All this added up.. and made me suspicious. and curious

Hmmmmm

So I called to find out what the deal was.. is..

1 never been to my home prior
2 got my name and address from an "undisclosed source" Id bet a police officer..
3 poked around my house and garage "seen I was into vw's"
4 looked in my garage windows and doors and "seen it and my other cars"
5 went to my neighbors house asking for information
6 called my parents and left a message thanks to my neighbor giving out their number. (my parents also my neighbors)
7 brought his dad with him as it was his old car in the 80's
8 wants to buy it from me and wants to come back to look at it..
9 would not even make an offer....
10 disobeyed the no trespassing, beware of dog, security and camera signs.

I obviously was not home..... during all of this..

Is it me.. or did someone cross the private property line a bit.. ??

Smile.. yes.. I got ya.. :wink:

I for one was taught.. if someone does not answer the door.. it means.... not home.. and/or leave them hell alone.. don't snoop around

If I want to sell something.. it's advertised. .

Of course.. anything can be bought for the right price.. sentimental value can be most profitable :-k ... hmmmmmm..

:lol:

I doubt Id sell it to him... just for the top 10 list alone.. :x
Plus.. it's really not for sale..
I have 2 more going instead..
I am only doing ONE more VW.. and it's the one..

To answer ALL your questions;
1. How did they find out about your car?
2.How did you know it was a police officer? anyone can google you.
3.More than one VW in any location is a dead giveaway!
4.If they are indoors, someone has seen them when you move them around.
5.Neighbors are always nosey
6.Your parents sound like nice Helpful neighbors.
7.Wanting is NOT the same as getting.
8.They can't see it unless you agree to show it.
9..No offer means, they were were waiting for you to tell them the price.
10.How do you know they trespassed, and if they did, your dog didn't do a good job and now you have proof for the police to charge them with trespassing.

Now on a lighter note, we have all done that. I know where there is a '54 pre-A Porsche, a 21 window, a split and oval, a '64 notch and various other cool cars, that I've left a note, asked the neighbors and yes, GUILTY, talked to the owner's parents. I too left my info, Had my intentions been criminal, neither I nor anyone else would be dumb enough to leave their personal info or come back to meet the owner in person.

The ask a cop idea gets thrown around a lot here on The Samba in the forums.

Nowadays we must all be careful, here in Pasadena we are being hit constantly by knock-knock burglars (people who come and knock at your door and if there is no answer, they break into your house. I always talk to whom ever come to my house. Unless your front yard is gated, it is not considered trespassing. and most people don't follow directions anyways. My cars are NOT visible from any angle of the street, but when I move my cars, everyone knows where the VW's house is.

KTPhil Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Unless you are willing to sell it, I would not engage him at all. No reply needed.

If he persists, I'd contact the police to make out a report (trespassing, harassment, suspicious behavior), just to document it (and him), telling the report-taking officer that it may have been a cop who provided him with private information and you do not appreciate that.

The idea is to make him a suspect should anything show up missing later. It's not probable, but even if he is a nice guy, you don't know squat about his friends he may have told about your car.

Property crime is on the rise. Protect yourself.

Maybe add a NRA sticker next to your no trespassing sign.

ALLWAGONS Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 pm

KTPhil wrote: just to document it (and him), telling the report-taking officer that it may have been a cop who provided him with private information and you do not appreciate that.

Property crime is on the rise. Protect yourself.

Maybe add a NRA sticker next to your no trespassing sign. I sincerely doubt any peace officer would provide information as they have to document each and every time they run plates.

If we placed an NRA sticker at home here in So Cal our neighbors would try to lynch us.

Manfred58sc Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Privacy (and the assumed right to privacy) is disappearing fast. The constitution is silent on the subject and the courts have cobbled some protection together that ebbs and flows based on culture. High speed everything and drones means prying eyes. I personally think its rude to inquire about a sale without a sign etc.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:56 pm

KTPhil wrote:
The idea is to make him a suspect should anything show up missing later.....

Maybe add a NRA sticker next to your no trespassing sign.

Agreed..
and
Yep.. I'll place it right under my S&W sign..

ALLWAGONS wrote:

To answer ALL your questions;
1. How did they find out about your car?
2.How did you know it was a police officer? anyone can google you.
3.More than one VW in any location is a dead giveaway!
4.If they are indoors, someone has seen them when you move them around.
5.Neighbors are always nosey
6.Your parents sound like nice Helpful neighbors.
7.Wanting is NOT the same as getting.
8.They can't see it unless you agree to show it.
9..No offer means, they were were waiting for you to tell them the price.
10.How do you know they trespassed, and if they did, your dog didn't do a good job and now you have proof for the police to charge them with trespassing.

You really didnt answer too many questions.. but I get the drift..

1 no idea.. they were from a distant city.. and another state.. and would not divulge
2 I dont.. was a guess. I doubt you'd find all the information tied together with an address on free Google alone. If so .. do tell.
3 True.. but.. none visible
4 Has not moved in at least 10 years ..but... yes others have.... :roll: cant even see this one with garage door wide open.
5 True. neighbor is an older Pastor with dementia so IM ok with him no need to bother an innocent gesture.
6 My parents are great.. but they didnt even tie the inquiry to me.. only a message was left about a convertible for sale which they know dont even own. Pop just thought it was an inquiry about our 49-51 Mercury parts.
7 True..
8 True
9 No price from me means not for sale.
10 He admitted, cameras got him and his dad snooping, My German Shepherd died 3 years ago so she's at peace, yes I have the proof.

Im pretty sure its just an innocent inquiry.. its the snooping around my home and garage and peering in windows that has me a little pissed off..

I'll blame the Samba.. :lol:

Any Police.. have my full respect.. period.. I was NOT pointing any blame at that.
Its the jerk who inquired and snooped I question the actions of.

I've had police run a VIN just to be sure its not stolen BEFORE a purchase.
Its all I ask for..
If they refuse.. I respect that. If they will I'll accept that.

Good feedback all.

TDCTDI Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 pm

A buddy of mine placed the target from his concealed carry test on the fridge in his garage, his was the only one the the neighborhood punks didn't pilfer beer from.

Besides that, I wouldn't advertise firearm ownership on house or automobile, makes them a target.

Jon Schmid Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
The car is not advertised for sale.

I can't tell you how many times when stuck in traffic people will start honking their horns and yelling at me "hey, is your car for sale?" Hey, do you see a f***ing "for sale" sign on the car? No and no. Just make sure your car(s) is secure. If they know it's there, who knows what (stuff) they'll try to pull.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 pm

TDCTDI wrote: Besides that, I wouldn't advertise firearm ownership on house or automobile, makes them a target.

Makes no real difference signs or not.. .. ..
Without any signs.. and we had all our arms jacked 6 months after we moved in or newly built home 20 years ago...
Seems the "neighbor" behind had known felon semi permanent visitors ... who were speculated as casing our home while being built....
Damn right I confronted them..
I got to know all my new unknown neighbors the next day.
All snatch and grab, tools, cameras, guns, jewelry.. even Capri Suns out of the fridge..
Did their best to wedge open a door.. ended up popping a window latch
I got one gun back out of it all and a ton of hassle from insurance and an education on whats actually insured.. :x

Security signs and systems are deterrents.. in hopes maybe a thief will move onto to another..

Hence why Im so precautious since. makes ya think.. and look around.

Hadn't had a robbery on our road (family farm converted to residential by my Grandparents) for over 30 years prior.. before that the road didnt exist..
I pretty much grew up on it after my Grandparents coaxed my Pop into moving from Jersey with "FREE LAND".. :lol:
I bought the last 2 acre parcel.
Fully intend to die on it too.. In fact.. already have my final after plans set . :wink:

Zundfolge1432 Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm used to people asking about my VWs . Yes I've received unsolicited offers but...... But anyone who ignores a no trespassing sign is defiantly crossing a line . Several years ago i had some meth heads coming on my property killing wildlife and leaving a shitty mess.the game warden and the sheriffs kept them under surveilance until they made some errors.

There are other ways to contact reclusive owners and to make respectful offers. It's not a complicated issue. If I am in public like today for example parked by the front door of McDonalds drinking coffee I expect and am civil to people interested in the car. If however they invaded my privacy I'd have to view it differently. The way things are today how can you tell when someone acting nice is casing the neighborhood ? There's a show on TV called pickers, you may have seen it. Occasionally they can be seen snooping around someone's place without permission...I'd shoot either one or both if they did that around me or my place. It's rude and its wrong and it might get someone hurt.

vwracerdave Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm

If the VW has been in your garage for 10 years then they would have to know somebody that worked in DMV or state agency, or they themselves do. It makes it even more complicated if they live in another state. As I said somebody could be fired for releasing your info.

Zundfolge1432 Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Somebody needs fired or at least bitch slapped its wrong to give out that info.

Pez Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Everyone should remember this thread when they inquire about the old VW sitting in someone's back yard or next to the old barn.

Erik G Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:29 pm

It's pretty easy to get info, addresses and names and phone numbers. A little too easy

That said snooping around looking through windows crosses lines. Would be cool to have the history on the car. And shop for a replacement and charge him extra for trespassing. If you don't have any sentimental value to it anyways...

cdennisg Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Erik G wrote: It's pretty easy to get info, addresses and names and phone numbers. A little too easy

That said snooping around looking through windows crosses lines. Would be cool to have the history on the car. And shop for a replacement and charge him extra for trespassing. If you don't have any sentimental value to it anyways...

I like that idea. A sort of "trespass tax" if you will.

No way in hell it was OK for them to snoop around. Leaving a note is fine, but I would dig deep for the source they used to gain that info.

If they really want it, they pay a hefty price. Otherwise, it can sit another decade or two.