TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: [Fix] High tank + Low carbs = overnight seepage
MrGoodtunes Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Been getting by for years with one of these:

Recently found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Nor...olid+viton

Yes, I know it says 24 volts DC. But when I put 12 volts to its coil, its valve opens in a snap! (Currently working on a mounting bracket.)

MrGoodtunes Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Having now run ~4 tanks of gas through the "24-volt" solenoid shut off valve, thought I'd update this with a follow up post. Then I found out my pics had expired. Now that I know how to post pics properly, here they are:

Not only has this been working flawlessly, but I feel confident it can handle even long distance travel. The 12-volt version comes with an over-heating warning if used more than 8 hours consecutively. But, since I'm running the 24 volt version with only 12 volts, there's less current flowing, so less heat. My meter shows a little less than 0.3 amps, which compares nicely to nearly a full amp required by one Solex choke heater (and I have 2 of them with dual Brosols).

The other comforting factor with this valve is its Viton gasket material, which is said to handle all kinds of fuel.

oprn Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Nice find as long as the internal port is not too small and restricting flow at full song. The solenoid valves we use at work(they come in 120 V AC, 24 V and 12 V DC) have about a 1/16" port.