TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: dash lights Page: 1, 2  Next
cdolsen1 Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:15 pm

I've been looking for info on dash lights. I want brighter lights. I only see two lights in the dash and they hardly work.
LED might be better?
Where do you get them?
Thanks

Tcash Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Search this topic... for "Dash Lights" LED lighting upgrades FAQ

Light Bulb Chart T2

telford dorr Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Just did mine - results are wonderful:

Note pic is a trial fit on a junk instrument cluster, hence no speedo needle...
See more pics on page 9 of the link above.
Also see this link for details (available 9am-9pm pacific time).

static Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:49 pm

re: LED dash lights...

I ordered two from some place, had 'em installed and neither worked. Phooey.

Next, I ordered two from Superbright LEDS. One worked, but the other blew out immediately. Being a cheapskate, I sent it back under warranty.

Immediately, Superbright LEDs UPS'ed me a new one. They lost money on that deal!

Now I have them both working and I am happy.

Those of us of a certain age need the extra brightness.

Tcash Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 pm

static wrote: Those of us of a certain age need the extra brightness.
Extra brightness with magnified gauge lenses.
:lol:

hazetguy Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 am

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251695

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343154

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484586

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521993

telford dorr Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:04 am

While we're on this topic, does anyone have a recommendation for quality LED bulbs that will fit the wedge-based sockets in a VDO tach (333051d)? Trying to avoid buying low quality stuff that is DOA...

mygreenbus Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:02 pm

I bought LEDs from SuperBrite. Blue, love them.

ivwshane Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 pm

telford dorr wrote: Just did mine - results are wonderful:

Note pic is a trial fit on a junk instrument cluster, hence no speedo needle...
See more pics on page 9 of the link above.
Also see this link for details (available 9am-9pm pacific time).

That looks almost too bright! Can you still adjust the brightness with the leds?

telford dorr Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Yes. An off-the-shelf LED dimmer works fine. I built my own, however.
The camera makes the pic look too bright. Actually, its fine.

DucksHockey Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I bought my LED lights from Auto-Hub.

I bought the following:
2 for the instruments (clear)
1 for the turn signals (green)
1 for the oil (red)
1 for the parking lights (green)
2 for the dome lights (clear)

Do not replace the generator/alternator light as the alternator needs an incandescent light in order to produce electricity.

They have been great!

Ry-dog Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:17 am

telford dorr wrote:
Quote: While we're on this topic, does anyone have a recommendation for quality LED bulbs that will fit the wedge-based sockets in a VDO tach (333051d)? Trying to avoid buying low quality stuff that is DOA...

I sent and inquiry to SuperBright LEDs a while back to track down the replacement bulb for a VDO bulb 600-815, Type E Wedge bulb that uses base VDO 600-840 and they told me to go with the 194 bulb.

telford dorr Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the info.

telford dorr Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Ry-dog wrote: I sent and inquiry to SuperBright LEDs a while back to track down the replacement bulb for a VDO bulb 600-815, Type E Wedge bulb that uses base VDO 600-840 and they told me to go with the 194 bulb.
Tried that: 194-W6. Even though they're not a large bulb, they just wouldn't fit into the tach - too big in diameter, and too long. Looked through their catalog for other part numbers. Again, no luck. The 194-WHP will physically fit, but is spec'ed as 'non-dimmable' (in fact, most of their 194 type bulbs are spec'ed as non-dimmable). WTF! Called the SBL people and asked about that. Couldn't get a clear answer, but I suspect that this means that there is some circuit inside the lamp which isn't compatible with a PWM type dimmer.

Now VDO makes the 600-886 'E-type' LED, but it's EXPENSIVE (like $16 a bulb - seriously?). Unfortunately, may not have a choice.

So: before I bend over and pop for these bulbs, has anybody found a (reasonable) plug-in LED bulb that will fit this tach (VDO 333051d) that is also dimmable?

Not having fun at the moment. :evil: Can't get this done...

Ry-dog Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 am

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.. I didn't get the 194 myself, so I did not know first hand. $16/bulb does sound quite expensive, especially for those of us that added 2 VDO bulb bases to replace the stock background lights for the instrument cluster.

chabanais Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

I installed green LEDs and they work great. There are replacement bulbs available.

Magion Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

That clock! Did you install it or your bus came with it aka unicorn?

jtauxe Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm

As you consider colors, keep in mind that there are physiological reasons to choose red. Ships use red light in the wheelhouse because red does not destroy your night vision.

chabanais Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Gas heater timer clock produced for 6 months back in 1972 and about as rare as a stock VW Bus heating system keeping you toasty warm in sub-zero temperatures.

Took me 15 years to find it and a lot of treasure to get it.

:lol:

Martaskukla wrote: That clock! Did you install it or your bus came with it aka unicorn?

Magion Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

I bet. my Westfalia came with factory BA6. It is my dream to find clock with timer but because it is 1975 the clusters are grey face. I only hope it does not take me 15 years :)