TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing studs from drums
Enkiel Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 am

So, yeah.

I have these type 3 drums that i want to install on my bus. The problem is that they have studs, and the studs lack tread to install stock rims (about last 3/4 inch is treadless).

So i'd like to remove them. Problem is, i have no clue how, or if its even possible.

My research so far have been... fruitless. Some people seems to use puller, like those used to remove door hinge... Are those studs screwed there or tapped? There's no tread to save when removing them?

here's a picture of the stud ;

Jacks Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:36 am

Take a closer look at those splines.

williamM Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 am

Jacks wrote: Take a closer look at those splines.

Jacks right- that drum ia scrap- but back to your question- they look like you can BFH them from the thread end like an american drum.

Enkiel Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 am

i think i need enlightment!

why is it scrap?

and... BFH?

hazetguy Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 am

the splines are worn out to the point of them being almost completely stripped, probably caused by the axle nut being run loose for a long time.
that drum is junk.

BFH = BIG FAWKIN' HAMMER

personally, i would press them out on a shop press.

ToolBox Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am

Even if that drum had usable splines I would wonder how it was butchered to accept pressed in studs. Did the just blast the studs into the threaded hole? And if so how F'd are the threads? Did they drill the threads out for a proper clearance hole? Meaning you will need to press studs back in.

johny__utah Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am

You could run a spacer between drum and rim.. Or take them to a machine shop and have smaller (length) studs pushed in. If they were done the right way like Toolbox mentioned.

spacer example.

Erik G Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

don't you need a spacer to run stock wheels anyway? otherwise the wheel hits the springplate?

johny__utah Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am

Erik G wrote: don't you need a spacer to run stock wheels anyway? otherwise the wheel hits the springplate?

Yes, my tires rubbed on the springplate cast housing.