TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: green westfalia
wasabiVdubbin Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey guys I have searched and not been very successful but I am looking to buy an original "green" westfalia. It was my first bus I owned and sold it and now I would like to find another one. Didn't see many on the ads. Does anyone know of a nice one for sale?

WildIdea Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm

The Sage green Bus shouldn't be that though to find. Might just take diligent watching if the classifieds. They seem to come around offered for sale regularly. Finding a solid one may take some waiting and they will command nice premiums for low rust and originality.

SamboSamba22 Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 pm

76-79 Sage Green bays are commonplace, and they come up for sale frequently. Westfalias with shiny paint and glossy wheels are red flags for me, Iíd look for something thatís solid body wise, runs, and doesnít have electrical blemishes all over. Fuel injection still intact and operating shows signs of knowledgeable and caring previous owners.
Just food for thought. Good hunting, Sage Green is my favorite Bay Westy color.

busdaddy Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Avoid the green ones, they aren't ripe yet :wink:

WildIdea Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 am

There's one in the classifieds here right now

KentPS Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:54 am

SamboSamba22 wrote: Sage Green is my favorite Bay Westy color.
That's Blasphemy, Sam!! :D
If mine weren't Chrome Yellow, I would go for Brilliant Orange like yours. And the transformation of your bus between today and when you dug it out of the woods is amazing.

Busdaddy: You get detention for that comment. :lol:

wasabiVdubbin Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am




this is my bus on the big island....somewhere is my green westfalia...i just love the green plaid and something about that color just makes it.

RixiesRide Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm

A couple of weeks ago my boss asked me if I was interested in a camper van. He said he saw one for sale parked on the side of the road in the small town of Lockeford.

I told him I wasn't really interested unless it was a killer deal. Of course he didn't stop to get any info and all he knew was it was green.


Today he stopped in with a picture of the bus and pictures of the signs in the windows. He said he looked inside and it looked pretty well taken care of. 15k, rebuilt engine and transmission. Oh and it's a '79

Abscate Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

1.5k maybe

busdaddy Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Abscate wrote: 1.5k maybe
How can you say that? It could be a 1 or 2 owner rustfree bus with a mountain of reciepts dating back to the dealer window sticker and a fresh engine built by a reputable shop with the yellow pail and the whole nine yards of options included and working, you never know until you kick the tires in person.

I dragged my feet for a couple weeks on my 72 after a freind of a freind said there was a bus for sale on the side of the road because I didn't need another project, I was in the neighborhood one day and went to look just to kill the curiosity and bought it right on the spot.

Many are rotted abused turds, but there is still the odd one that's been loved and sheltered but the owner doesn't think stuff like that is worth mentioning and it's advertised as just another used car, sleep well tonight Rixie :wink: :)

67ctbug Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm

KentPS wrote: SamboSamba22 wrote: Sage Green is my favorite Bay Westy color.
That's Blasphemy, Sam!! :D
If mine weren't Chrome Yellow, I would go for Brilliant Orange like yours.
No guys, obviously Yosemite Yellow is the best color... :lol:

notchboy Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Are you on the big island? I think Ive seen you drive through Kona. 8)

RixiesRide Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 pm

busdaddy wrote: Abscate wrote: 1.5k maybe
How can you say that? It could be a 1 or 2 owner rustfree bus with a mountain of reciepts dating back to the dealer window sticker and a fresh engine built by a reputable shop with the yellow pail and the whole nine yards of options included and working, you never know until you kick the tires in person.

I dragged my feet for a couple weeks on my 72 after a freind of a freind said there was a bus for sale on the side of the road because I didn't need another project, I was in the neighborhood one day and went to look just to kill the curiosity and bought it right on the spot.

Many are rotted abused turds, but there is still the odd one that's been loved and sheltered but the owner doesn't think stuff like that is worth mentioning and it's advertised as just another used car, sleep well tonight Rixie :wink: :)

I didn't think the price was too out-of-line based on some of the rusty crusty stuff I've seen posted for sale.

The owner obviously doesn't know about this site and Im going to assume that the "we'll help you sell it and finance it too" website may be the ones who came up with the price. The note on the window looked like it was written by a child or an elderly person.

I did find the site where it is listed and the pictures show it is a very clean, straight bus. Of course I wouldn't pay 15k, but if I really wanted a green bus I might a reaso offer.

WildIdea Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Again, thinking about this thread today and I wanted to add:

I would probably hunt, search and wait for a solid rust free or close to rust free Westy with a somewhat intact, reparable interior and let the color pick me.

Abscate Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 am

busdaddy wrote: Abscate wrote: 1.5k maybe
How can you say that?

The 1,5, and k keys are easy, the . Key takes some hunting.

Without pics, it's a turd. It's a scarce world of people with 15k for a rusty busty, and a road side seller asking that with a pasty sign is a sophisticated flipper or worse.

KentPS Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am

67ctbug wrote: KentPS wrote: SamboSamba22 wrote: Sage Green is my favorite Bay Westy color.
That's Blasphemy, Sam!! :D
If mine weren't Chrome Yellow, I would go for Brilliant Orange like yours.
No guys, obviously Yosemite Yellow is the best color... :lol:

Dang fool kids, don't know nothin' nowadays... :evil:

67ctbug Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:46 pm

KentPS wrote: 67ctbug wrote: KentPS wrote: SamboSamba22 wrote: Sage Green is my favorite Bay Westy color.
That's Blasphemy, Sam!! :D
If mine weren't Chrome Yellow, I would go for Brilliant Orange like yours.
No guys, obviously Yosemite Yellow is the best color... :lol:

Dang fool kids, don't know nothin' nowadays... :evil:
:lol: Maybe Orange and Yellow are a tie....

alman72 Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm

here is a sportsmobile with a westy interior. or it could be a westy with a sportsmobile pop top and windows. 8000 obo. does not look too bad from the pics.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2093299



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group