TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Page: 1, 2  Next
Clint Deason1 Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Hello. I just picked up this 57 the other day. Is the decklid off off what I think its off of... a split window convertible? Thanks

Bruce Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:02 pm

yep.

peter schepens Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 am

Bruce wrote: yep.
But be sure the rain box is on the inside or traces of it, As some guys can make these louvers real nice , with almost no trace.

tisius Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:11 am

Looks like you've scored!
If you show us the inside of the deck lid, like others mentioned.... some people do weld in louvers into "ordinary" sedan deck lids (although I seem to spot a rain tray on your decklid; the hacked sedan deck lids do not sport this item).

Clint Deason1 Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:05 am

Here is the underside of the decklid. How rare are these?

TinCanFab Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 am

L handle, true pope nose with triangle spring bracket.... very very rare! Imagine how many early split verts were ever made.

Clint Deason1 Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 am

Thanks for the input everyone. Not that I want to sell it. I was wondering what something like that is going for? I may have paid too much for the car. Just want to see if I made made an ok buy. Thanks

splitjunkie Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 am

It is valuable enough that if you drive your car around with it on it, it will get stolen.

Rathguten Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

Wow! Looks really clean.

Mr. OGPaint Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm

It's worth at least a couple grand, I would say more like a few grand with it being complete as it is

Suboval Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Clint Deason1 wrote: Here is the underside of the decklid. How rare are these?

It looks like you have a KSR reproduction deckild. Look at the rain guard offset. it's a dead give away on the KSR reproductions.
http://www.ksreproduction.com/vw.asp

ZENVWDRIVER Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

... of coarse not correct, but better than correct, I'd say

splitjunkie Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Suboval wrote: Clint Deason1 wrote: Here is the underside of the decklid. How rare are these?

It looks like you have a KSR reproduction deckild. Look at the rain guard offset. it's a dead give away on the KSR reproductions.

If so that is some pretty convincing patina.

Suboval Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Patina is not hard to do.

Clint Deason1 Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Is there a particular picture I should take to tell? Is there a stamped VW on them. I know the popes nose has one.

Suboval Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Clint Deason1 wrote: Is there a particular picture I should take to tell? Is there a stamped VW on them. I know the popes nose has one.

There is no VW stamped into the decklids.

A picture of the rain guards bottom corners - down from the spring holder.

Clint Deason1 Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Are these better pictures of the area you were talking about?

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Suboval wrote: Clint Deason1 wrote: Here is the underside of the decklid. How rare are these?

If that's a fake decklid with fake patina, I'd like to meet the sorcerer who did it so incredibly convincingly.

Suboval Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm

It's a KSR reproduction.

Suboval Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Suboval wrote: It's a KSR reproduction.

Scuff, bury in dirt. Instant patina.