TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2332cc build Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
scotty timmerman Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 pm

I have been collecting parts to build a 2332 for awhile now. I have reacently dropped off the rotating assembly to be dynamically balanced. What I have done so far is modified the the crank for better oiling, installed total seal rings, got some light weight wrist pins cut to lenght. The wrist pins are now 16 grams lighter then the ones that came with the aa pistions. Balanced the pistions and balanced the rods. Once I get the rotating assembly back I will start assembling the bottom end.

Dauz Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Best of luck..

Onceler Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:46 pm

What did u modify on the crank for better oiling?

scotty timmerman Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I chamfered all the oil feed holes for the rods and mains.

bugguy1967 Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm

It's best to balance after mock-up, just in-case you need to grind on the throws to avoid the camshaft. The oiling mods do change things, but it's probably too small of a difference.

Make sure also to prep those cylinders before installing those new rings in there.

pondervwmike Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Awesome build keep up the good work and keep us posted. I am building a stroker as well.

nsracing Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 pm

It does not make sense to get the crank balanced and then grind it/modify it again after it gets home. That defeats the purpose of the balance work.

Get it all mocked up to final stage and then when you are satisfied, get the parts balanced.

porkchop-rob Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 am

If I am reading correctly, the OP did the crank modifications BEFORE he sent it to be balanced.

fivelugshortaxle Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:25 pm

To everybody building a stroker. Make it as strong as your pocket will allow and research cam and heads. You won't regret it. Love my 2276...you'll love your buiilds.

scotty timmerman Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Mocked up the case with a crankshaft so I could cut it for a sand seal with my gene ber cutter.

hobbybob517 Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:01 am

Very nice tool, looks like a good clean cut.

scotty timmerman Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I have been doing the bob Hoover oiling modifications to the case. Got the extra oil gallary drilled and cam saddle oil groves widened. Also opened up the D shaped passage for the cam scraper and the passages under the center main saddle.

One question I have is about the lifter modification connecting the two oil groves. Should I do it to all the lifters or only the four that go on the 1/2 side?

I believe i have the original engine number from the car that this engine will be going in to. So I got some steel stamps and stamped it in to the case.

vwracerdave Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Modify all 8 lifters.

croSSeduP Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Nicely done, Scott. Great pics.
Gig Harbor, eh? I live across the Narrows. We should connect. I know VERY FEW aircooled VW gear heads in the area. It's like a wasteland. Those of us around here who are into it should connect.
BTW, the engine sitting on my stand REALLY close to getting fired for cam break in is a 48 IDA'd 2276 monster. Check out my '67 progress.
Peace.

scotty timmerman Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:31 am

I go to most the shows around here usually in my ghia (build thread in my discription). I might be at the octobugfest meet up in Tacoma on the 28th in my orange and white bus.

scotty timmerman Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Got the rotating assembly back. Also had the main bearings grooved so there is 360 degrees of oiling to the rods.

scotty timmerman Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Got the crank assembled and set in the case. Rods are 5.5 Chevy journal. Did a little bit of clearance go on the cam for the rods. Didn't need much. The cam is a w130. No clearance issues between the lobes and crank.

fivelugshortaxle Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Looking good. I'll be posting pics of my own 2332 build within the next couple of weeks. Interesting you're using a w130. I went with a SLR XR310 on 110 lobe.

scotty timmerman Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:00 am

Final assembly on the bottom end.

nsracing Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 am

When I build a stroker, I will do the trial assembly all the way to the rocker geometry. I will install everything except for the rings. I mount light springs for the topend so I can observe the rocker system in movement.

Once I am happy w/ the rocker system, then I will cut the pushrods to final size.

When everything checks out, then I will take it apart and clean the parts for the last time to get ready for the sealing.

I do not seal that lower end until the whole engine has been mocked up to its finality. Everybody has their way, but I find it is more efficient to do the mockup all the way to the end see it work together before deciding to seal it.

I know people that have sealed the lower end and something hangs up and then had to clean everything. But ..your engine so you do your way.

It is all good.