TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncaru 16 AWD build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
human compass Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 pm

valvecovergasket wrote: wow! incredible build!!

human compass wrote:
A few fidely issues with the speedhut gauges that I'm working through

im guessing fuel level sensor?

thanks!

No, the tach intermittently sweeps to 8k and the altimeter intermittently reads 80k feet :) Fuel gauge works spot on for the first time ever and even has a warning light when I get to 2 gallons.

valvecovergasket Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Interesting!
Seems most of the speed but van setups I've followed up on on Instagram have issues with the fuel level not being filtered enough... What was your secret!? :)

human compass Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 am

clean living?? :D

super vw Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 pm

valvecovergasket wrote: Interesting!
Seems most of the speed but van setups I've followed up on on Instagram have issues with the fuel level not being filtered enough... What was your secret!? :)

Set the ohm range correctly, and it works like indended...no secret.
Speed hut has had a new board recently have issue with programing...so we are unfortunately waiting for the cure, and some new units to be sent out to fix the Tach, and altimeter.

super vw Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 pm

human compass wrote: so, final report after 1200 miles on it.

As detailed earlier, the suspension is just amazing. No swaying, no getting blown around, stays flat in turns. Took it down an dirt washboard road for about 20 miles and comfortable did 50mph the whole time. Hardly felt it.

Brakes are amazing, and the e brake actually works. I accidentally left it on and tried to back up. Theyre so strong that the car stalled and didnt budge.

My previously peppy 2.5 suby is a little sluggish with all the added weight and extra drive train. 80mph in 6th at 2800 rpm on the flats no prob but steep inclines had me in 3rd or 4th doing 50-60 mph. I will test this some more now that the VSS is hooked up (Jonathan forgot to and I wasnt able to rev over 4500rpm) and also installing a tune good for about 20 more horsepower. Still totally adequate, just not the rocket I was used to.

The 6 spd transmission paired with this motor is just amazing. no lags in between shift and minimal loss of rpm. short crisp shifts that keep the motor in the rpm range it likes.

Got flashed a ton, and not in a good way. Despite being properly adjusted, high quality LEDs (read good cut offs) the van is just so high now. I will look at lowering them a bit and perhaps some hoods.

Annoying drone and vibration happens over 70mph. I think in found an exhaust clamp bolt thats touching the engine shield. Hopefully that's it as the noise and vibration go away when my foots off the gas but am coasting at the same speed. The noise definitely sounds like a really loud exhaust and not like a mechanical or driveline noise.

A few fidely issues with the speedhut gauges that I'm working through and my front speakers arent working and my cruise control is out. I'll be sorting through those in the coming weeks.

Super pleased with the conversion. Time to start beating the shit out of it!

It was a pleasure working with you on this! Wish we had some more time to fix the small stuff, I'm happy your stoked with the results on the major stuff...now go enjoy the hell out of it!
Jonathan

human compass Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:01 pm

prerunner stickers removed to make room for these bad boys! Now its a syncro!

human compass Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am

Uniwerks made me this cool Iphone dock. Didnt have any room for the ashtray after the small car AC went in. Loving it. Also installed an SA steering wheel.

human compass Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:15 pm

finished up the chinese diesel heater install. total game changer. I may move it to under the fridge when I get a truck fridge, but it fits nicely in place of the old rear heater and takes up half the space. still need to get a unkiwerks grill to cover the hole left by removal of the old heater. running it on kerosine and converted an old rotopax to be the tank ( I have a aux gas tank so dont really need it for more petrol).

0cean Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:48 pm

How is the speed hut gas gauge working for you? Are you getting any needle bouncing or anything like that?

human compass Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:14 pm

no issues at all. the tach is doing some weird stuff but theyre sending me out a new one

0cean Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Are you using a vanagon stock sending unit?

joetiger Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:37 pm

That heater exhaust pipe gets REALLY hot...Maybe make sure it's not too close to that hose coming off the coolant pipe or is that just an optical illusion?

human compass Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:23 pm

its not as close as it looks in the pic. thanks for pointing it out just the same! would suck to melt through that!

burleymotorsports Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm

human compass wrote: On my way home from Bend. Made it to Reno, about 400 miles. Terrible conditions- snow, pouring rain, crosswinds, two lane highway

IT FUCKING KILLED IT!!! none if this was an issue. no death grip needed for crosswinds, barely budged. Radflo suspension is truly amazing. feels like a modern car. not too stiff, not too soft, goldilocks suspension.
I really think this may be the perfect overlanding set up :D :D :D

Totally stoked that you love your Burley Motorsports Radflo suspension system , actually it comes as no surprise as everyone always does :D
Here's a link to the kit in case anyone is interested :)

https://burleymotorsports.net/product-category/4wd...-and-back/

rmengr1 Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Amazing build! Interesting that your up above 5000lbs... will be curious to hear if you are satisfied with the Subaru NA2.5 after you tune the ecu a bit. Also probably haven't used it yet, but any thoughts on the SC in dach AC?

Time to Drive!
Bob

human compass Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 pm

rmengr1 wrote: Amazing build! Interesting that your up above 5000lbs... will be curious to hear if you are satisfied with the Subaru NA2.5 after you tune the ecu a bit. Also probably haven't used it yet, but any thoughts on the SC in dach AC?

Time to Drive!
Bob

Still haven't got the tune squared away. As is, it is anemic at altitude but still scoots along great at sea level. tested the AC a little this weekend in Tucson and it was great but that was only at 80 degrees. yet to be determined on both. I'll post results when I try both out!

human compass Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Delicious Tune Report

Spent some time trying to get it remotely tuned via there dongle with no luck. They finally bought an ecu, bench programmed it, and sent it to me (with a new dongle), free of charge.

Installed today, very little driving so far.

Noticeably quicker. Not huge, but you can feel it for sure. Idle is a bit smoother as well. I did before and after quarter mile measurements with my speedhut gps gauges and found that the tune shaved 1.3 seconds off.

I will report back after some highway miles and some more 4 wheeling.

human compass Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:14 pm

A couple of shots of a spot found on lake Powell using the Ioverlander app. A bit of burly 4wd action to get out to this isolated beach.

human compass Mon May 18, 2020 6:24 pm

started work on the outside kitchen. going to add a magma grill to the side of the box so I can utilize the table. Also going to put a slide out on the table to increase space.

Also, finally got the winch installed!

human compass Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:41 am

today's project. front end- new JW speaker heated lights, painted light retainers and badge, back to black grill, orange reflective syncro sticker. sometimes it's the little projects that make me happy..