TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Robbie is building another engine… Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Brian Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:59 pm

At least we know now that there are cam bearings in the case.

sjhotz Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm

So, i've been lurking quite a bit lately, just not posting much in the Bus forums. I've been getting my Thing up and running as a pre-cursor to the big dive back into my Bus project.

I just wanted to say how awesome it is that your doing this Robbie, you continue to inspire me to get up off my ass and get back to a running Bus!

I look forward to your further adventures... Rock on Man, Rock on!

Tram Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Brian wrote: At least we know now that there are cam bearings in the case.

FAKE NEWS!!!

TomWesty Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Tram wrote: Brian wrote: At least we know now that there are cam bearings in the case.

FAKE NEWS!!! I am an eye witness. Or maybe I dozed off and thought I saw them installed...Does Series 1 Episode 2 take place tonight?

wcfvw69 Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Tram wrote: Brian wrote: At least we know now that there are cam bearings in the case.

FAKE NEWS!!!

"No,no.. believe me, I was there. Robbie's engine build was a beautiful thing, in fact it was yuge. It was a tremendous achievement though everyone knows I would of done a better job because, you know, I'm a really smart guy. I'm not a loser or a moron like those people at GEX. Everyone knows I could turn around GEX and make it the best company in the world. I would go in their with a fire and fury, fire all those losers and bring in Ivanka and incredible men and women. It would be a beautiful thing, really. It would make a lot of money"

Xevin Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm

That was brilliant Bill =D> =D> =D>

raygreenwood Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Xevin wrote: Since dust and lint is an issue. Buy a pack of quality Flour Sack towels. They are lint free and very absorbent. You can geek out on this link to explore the magic of the Flour Sack :lol: But seriously Flour Sack towels.

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Kitchen-Pack-Flour-Sack-Towels-28-Inches/dp/B00XK69NRW

Do not....use cloth towels for anything on a build. Cloth fibers do not dissolve in oil. Use paper towels. Lint from paper towels is not an issue. It will eityer dissolve or get caught in the filter. Great way to clog a bearing oil hole.

The beat paper towels with the least lint are the blue mechanics shop towels. Ray

cdennisg Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 pm

raygreenwood wrote: Xevin wrote: Since dust and lint is an issue. Buy a pack of quality Flour Sack towels. They are lint free and very absorbent. You can geek out on this link to explore the magic of the Flour Sack :lol: But seriously Flour Sack towels.

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Kitchen-Pack-Flour-Sack-Towels-28-Inches/dp/B00XK69NRW

Do not....use cloth towels for anything on a build. Cloth fibers do not dissolve in oil. Use paper towels. Lint from paper towels is not an issue. It will eityer dissolve or get caught in the filter. Great way to clog a bearing oil hole.

The beat paper towels with the least lint are the blue mechanics shop towels. Ray

I swear there is an echo in here...

cdennisg wrote:
Use PAPER towels during assembly. Cotton rags can leave fibers that do not break down in engine oil and can clog oil passages. paper remnants break down in motor oil so if any fibers get left behind, you needn't worry.

aeromech Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 pm

Damn, I just got an email from amazon that my towels had shipped. True. Good thing the Costco down the hill sells the blue paper towels by the pallet load.

airschooled Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:16 am

...did anybody actually see me using towels anywhere on the engine internals before I used a microfiber rag to wipe the excess case sealant off the bottom of the engine? I also used that same tag to wipe the assembly line off my hands three times.

I feel like Jeff Sessions here, as I do not recall.

Robbie

Edit: wait! I do recall using a microfiber rag to wipe the WD40 off the lifters before I lubricated and installed them. So sue me.

Xevin Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 am

raygreenwood wrote: Xevin wrote: Since dust and lint is an issue. Buy a pack of quality Flour Sack towels. They are lint free and very absorbent. You can geek out on this link to explore the magic of the Flour Sack :lol: But seriously Flour Sack towels.

The cloth I mentioned is a tight weave lint free cotton, more resistant to tearing then the low lint paper of a “Shop towel” more prone to tearing. If the Flour Sack textile were to shed the same size particle of lint as the Shop Towel. What scientific data shows that the cellulose make up of these two materials would breakdown any different in an engine build? We talking about tiny particles of cellulose fiber. I do enjoy reading your scientific explanations in the forum. :D

Abscate Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 am

I once pulled a shop,rag into the intake manifold And it came out the exhaust pipe as a T shirt. It was the wrong size though

Jared is working on GEX now that the Middle East is done.

williamM Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:34 am

[quote="Abscate"]I once pulled a shop,rag into the intake manifold And it came out the exhaust pipe as a T shirt. It was the wrong size though

:shock: :shock: :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> 8-[ I take XXX large if it went "BIG".

notchboy Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 am

asiab3 wrote:
Jason, thanks for being the Chat MVP last night. After I shut it down I became the Beer MVP.

Robbie

airschooled Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 pm

We have a block.

We have a NOS oil cooler.

We have a pulley.

We have heads.

Ergo, we have a long block.

Minus the oil pump…
Robbie

airschooled Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm

RM1584002

Mains:
1- .0015”
2- .0015”
3- .0025”
4- .002”

Rods:
1- .0015”
2- .0015”
3- .0015”
4- .0015”

Cams:
1- .003”
2- .003”
3- .003”

Cam end play:
.002”

Cam gear backlash:
.0005”

Cam runout @ #2:
.0005”

Head combustion chamber volume: *
1- 47cc
2- 47cc
3- 47.5cc
4- 47cc
* add 4.5cc for piston dish volume

Piston dish volume:
4.5cc

Deck Height:
.065” +/- .001”

Static compression ratio:
7.5:1

Crankshaft end play (with dial indicator):
.0035"

Distributor drive axial play:
.050” (That’s the wear limit. I will add a shim when I find a small one; all my current shims will stack me there, or too tight.)

Clatter Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 pm

I dunno... I think an oil pump is going to come in pretty handy..

airschooled Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Clatter wrote: I dunno... I think an oil pump is going to come in pretty handy..

It's currently in the car pushing my ass around. :wink:

Spike0180 Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 am

Clatter wrote: I dunno... I think an oil pump is going to come in pretty handy..

Seems optional. :lol:

Brian Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am

Gonna tell everyone about the pushrod experience?