TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 1 Semaphore -testing help required
1967_vw Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 am

Hi All,

First post on the forum so if i'm in the wrong place, i apologise, but i didn't see a specific section for electrics so thought this was the best section to post my question. Soory it's a bit of a long post...

I recently bought a job lot of old vw parts from an elderly gent who was clearing his garage and storage. I only paid a nominal sum for the lot but within it was a semaphore which I said I couldn't take off him as part of the deal as it was probably worth more on its own than I paid for everything. After a bit of discussion I offered to sell it for him and give him the proceeds as he doesn't really know what he's doing on the internet. I've done a bit of research in the UK and was pointed to this forum as a possible source of advice, and perhaps information, about the part.

The part number is 151 953 021B which google reveals to be for a convertible beetle and the date codes suggest is from 1960. It's in really clean condition. The SWF lens is complete and has no cracks, the piston operates freely and the springs are in place and operate fine. There is a bit of tarnish on the metalwork but no rot and i think it will clean up well. I haven't tested it for electrical operation as don't have a 6v supply or bulb. It has a length of original braided cable still attached to the bulb connector in the lens and the soldered cable from the piston is still connected to the bottom screw terminal. The screw is missing from the top terminal, as is the screw to attach the lens to the arm.

I obviously want to maximise the owner's return on the item and i assume that a working semaphore would be more valuable so i'd appreciate any advice on testing the item, or techniques to clean off the tarnish. Would it operate on 12v for a very short period to test it or would that cause irreparable damage?

Thanks in advance for any help

Kev...

1967_vw Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 am

c21darrel Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm

This oughta help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search