TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need some help with speedo please
uncletravelingjay Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 am

Hi guys.

I've been on the samba for quite a few years but I do think this is my 1st post on the forum.

I am your cousin from england and we're seperated by the same language but whilst on here I'll try and speak American, if I use a word your not familiar with, just ask.

OK here goes.

I had a go at fixing my speedo last night, got everything lubed up and moving (I think), new gels and overall quite happy.

This morning though, after doing some reading on here I've noticed that I should of checked the speedo on a drill before taking it apart.

Didn't do that, my bad.

I've put it back together and I've managed to break the needle but if I hadn't when resting it would be pointing to 10mph.

The only thing that I can think is different is the two long screws that hold the mechanism down were a bit loose when I dismantled it.

Would they effect where the needle rests ?

67_SO42 Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Take a picture of the back. Specifically the little copper looking coil spring between the speedo face and the mechanism.
If its not looking nice and wound, your screwed.

uncletravelingjay Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 am

Thanks for the reply.

I've since put the speedo back together and in the van.
The coil / spring still looked wound up to me.

These are the only pics I have of the back. I don't know if they'll be any help as you can't see the spring but they do show the type of mechanism thatine has.

I look forward to hearing g your reply.

Jason

67_SO42 Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Might just need a tiny bit of lube on the shaft.
If not, full tear down mode might be needed. did you try to wiggle the speedo needle to different positions?

uncletravelingjay Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 am

I took her out for a spin and everything is working :D

I did do a tear down although maybe not full...

What shafts are you talking about? the one in the middle I assume. I did free that up with wd40.

I didn't try to wriggle the speedo into different positions. I suppose it could of happened when it was face down,

You know, thinking about it I be that's what happened. Face down it will be resting on the needles centre, i recon I moved it and it's twisted the delicate spring.

:cry: :oops: :evil:

Jason