TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Finally back from painter......
gtrplyr Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 pm

After a whole year it came back with a fresh coat of clear. Approx. 30 year old gel coat, showing some wear, but I feel it's better than it was. You can see where the silver is showing thru but the gloss is great!

Bluggy Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 pm

It looks great, glitter looks good.

Why did it take a year, painter was busy or you were not ready for it?

I would like to have mine repainted with blue including glitter. You must be happy and excited putting her together.

Cheers

nelson845 Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 am

It looks amazing!....Any "before" pix?

joey1320 Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 am

Looks great 8)

Why did it take so long?

gtrplyr Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:19 am

My neighbor does low-end paint work for used car dealerships. He has way too much work and doesn't prioritize well. On the up side, I did all the wet sanding and prep, $15.00 in materials, and he shot it for free. We just got done with harvest and planting so maybe this will work out after all.

gtrplyr Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 am

Slow progress.

TC/TeamEvil Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Beautiful ! I had one in that same style body, always loved the way that the fenders cupped the tops of the tires. Do you have the unique hood/dash to go with it?

hillmotorsports Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

U can see the hood on the front of the trailer in the 1st pic.

Paul

TC/TeamEvil Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Yup. spotted it ! Looks like the correct dash board, if it's the correct hood it has a wonderfully unique "grill" section. A really great looking buggy when it's all assembled unlike all of the usual Manx copies for sure !

vwracerdave Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 pm

The Lido or El Lobo is the coolest Dunebuggy they ever made. 10X better looking than a real Manx.

heimlich Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 pm

That's really nice looking.

gtrplyr Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:24 pm

It's going back together SLOWLY. Mostly waiting on parts and time. I had a teeny, tiny heart attack on July 31st, and just don't have the drive I had. It is a Lithia Mk. III I picked up a few years ago with a full tube chassis. there were photos of it at Bug Jam 2010 but they have been removed. It made its way to Nebraska in 2014 where I bought it. Great single port, bad tranny, wiring from hell, junk tires, but the gel coat was solid.
For those of you reading this, I think this is the BEST site for information, getting ideas and great help and inspiration. This is the first site I go to over coffee in the morning, and at least once more during the day. I really wish I had done this back in the 80's before I had to grow up.
Thanks for all the comments and assistance.

heimlich Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I hope you are doing better. Did they put a stint in?

gtrplyr Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 am

One stint, ballooned another, one they can't fix without cutting me open. That being said, I feel much better now, just get tired real easy. The dune buggy is a low stress part of my day and something I enjoy. Cheers.

SBD Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Stent.

EMPIImp69 Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 am

vwracerdave wrote: The Lido or El Lobo is the coolest Dunebuggy they ever made. 10X better looking than a real Manx.

I wouldn't get that crazy..